Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TwoLightsKid

Cod season opener

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Anyone else get out for cod yesterday?  I took my daughter out and it took us all of about 10 minutes to get our limit.  Inshore ledge I fished was loaded with them, along with pollock and mackerel.  So nice to be able to keep even just a couple of them, Hope we get more next year!

FB6C9404-3D2E-437E-92E3-C9BF89417DD6.jpeg

4B274E34-A489-4E43-80B2-C16FA17DE4F5.jpeg

A9A671C0-D8A3-4549-BEE5-5A6D954A1ED9.jpeg

got my 1 fish (and a ton of shorts) yesterday maybe a hundred yards offshore in a kayak in northern mass -- lovely to see the amount of cod that come inshore when the fishing pressure lets up!  beautiful healthy fish, 6 in to 2ft.  I wonder if there's all these cod inshore because the draggers aren't tearing up the habitat?  caught lots of fish as shallow as 28-30ft.  

personally, I'd be fine with a total moratorium for a few more years if the population keeps growing like it seems to be (at least where I've fished)

It’s nice that they gave us a token season this year, but I’d be fine with them keeping it closed for the most part and open back up gradually in a few more years.  The closure does seem to be working, I’ve been seeing more and bigger cod every year over the last few seasons.  Still a far cry from what it used to be, but it’s nice to see things moving in the right direction for once.  

I think you’re on the on the right track thinking about how the habitat is improving with less commercial fishing pressure and nets bulldozing the bottom.  A lot more big halibut being caught too since the closure, and I think that has to relate to the lower overall fishing pressure.  Interesting to see how the marine environment can recover when you give it a rest for a few years. 

Nice one!   I’m hoping to get offshore at some point during this brief window.  I have one spot that can usually be relied upon to produce at least one 20+ pound fish that I’ve been dying to hit the last few years but I’ve mostly avoided it.  

Quickly dropped a jig on an inshore lump while taking The Admiral for a ride today.  This 9 lb bacala decided the teaser looked tasty.  Much nicer bringing this one up from 70 feet than the big girl above from 350 ft...

0?ui=2&ik=ad51930c6b&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1645147605835438485&th=16d4bd07f8e7d995&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ8ICJobYquXWYWl2f020hW-IKt-PeL28mYhjiw-4AVDdneB8bQyYz-YcxWXx_ra3Wcn8YigDgJ1IXcbJozbkxc4nJZenkXNitom3Is_ZaPpezzocJE7NPCRRTI&disp=emb