Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DeepBlue85

Wind turbines

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Are there any petitions against the construction of wind turbines off the south shore in nassau county? 

Little by little what was once pristine many years ago, continues to be exploited, when will environmental consequence matter, when does this stop?

Edited by DeepBlue85

I know that a commercial fishing group has brought a lawsuit against them, but I'm not aware of any petitions.

Not sure that a petition would do any good at this point, since the government approvals have already been granted.

8 hours ago, DeepBlue85 said:

when will environmental consequence matter, when does this stop?

There are very few if any negative consequences to the offshore windmills.  Cost, efficiency, durability etc can be argued but they are a net positive to the marine environment. The only groups that will argue this is the commercial fisherman. We know that the commercial fisherman and fact based science and reason don’t get along very well. 

At the of the day resign yourself to the fact that offshore windmills will be part of your future. Like it or not.

Iv read there are real concerns with their upkeep, oil leaks as well as the migrating bird population of which these things are set to be built bang in the middle. My overall thing is that development just keeps creeping forward around here, were becoming a mechanized society and loosing the quality of our natural resources, makes me wonder about the next 20 years.....

39 mins ago, pequa11 said:

that maybe a pic of the laying of the power cable.   I think the turbines themselves are much further out.

Turbines are going to be 35 miles offshore. I believe how that thing works, is it started right on the beach and is laying the cable all the way out to the windmill site.  There was no wires or pipes that you could see on the beach.

23 hours ago, Surf bomber said:

The only problem with the windmills is who s getting the electric is it brought to the local grid or wired across the state to another state.

these Particular Windmill will be powering Suffolk county homes.  There is only one other offshore wind farm in the US, it's off Block Island and it is Block Island's sole energy supplier (I believe).