Sudsy

Fisherman died in Squan inlet today

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

My son witnessed the commotion

A guy was out on the jumping jacks in sneakers, slipped hit his head on the way down

My son was there as the kids were trying to call the police (parents didn't speak english)

Very sad

NEVER go out there without the proper footwear !!!!!

Truly sad because it's just such a stupid thing to do. And then they ban anyone from walking on a rock.

Drownings happen this time every year. Almost always non native folks.

Senseless deaths.

Very sad indeed. I’ve never had any desire to try and go out on those things. Honestly I’m surprised this hasn’t happened more often with the amount of people that go out there. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Wow..sad news must have been quite the scene. @Sudsy. What is the proper footwear? Spikes just slide on the smooth concrete texture. As long as they're dry with no growth on the surface rubber soles seem to provide best grip...unless there is something better i don't know about. It is very dangerous...and yes plenty of people out there.

Edited by adams54

47 mins ago, Sudsy said:

My son witnessed the commotion

A guy was out on the jumping jacks in sneakers, slipped hit his head on the way down

My son was there as the kids were trying to call the police (parents didn't speak english)

Very sad

NEVER go out there without the proper footwear !!!!!

https://www.app.com/story/news/2019/09/15/manasquan-police-fisherman-hospitalized-after-slipping-inlet/2337631001/

Is this the same incident? 

12 mins ago, adams54 said:

Wow..sad news must have been quite the scene. @Sudsy. What is the proper footwear? Spikes just slide on the smooth concrete texture. As long as they're dry with no growth on the surface rubber soles seem to provide best grip...unless there is something better i don't know about. It is very dangerous...and yes plenty of people out there.

I agree. Rubber definitely provide better traction than spikes out on those jacks. It’s unfortunate and I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more often. I was at the inlet recently and saw 2 fishermen out there wearing flip flops 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Scary to think about. It goes without saying, you gotta be ****ing careful out there . I'll never forget, last year at a jetty in NoMoCo, two couples, one younger and one older, within the span of about 30 mins of each other approached me to make small talk. The first couple, younger in their 30's I'd say, approached me and made some chit chat, as our convo wrapped up, they started walking down the jetty, I called out and said "be careful over there, dont step on the black" (they're barefoot)...the girl instantly slides out, lands on her knees and I already see blood, she starts sliding toward the edge a bit...she got lucky and so did the guy with her who almost slipped out trying to grab hold. Next couple, 60's-70's...the older man who must've felt well acquainted with the rocks took no more than a few steps past me and slipped out, right onto his back and he was so lucky he didn't smack his head. If theres one place to not **** around man, it's on rocks. One of my favorite places to fish from, and one of the most dangerous. Always gotta do the foot wiggle before you step.

Edited by Saltine109

You definitely have to wear korkers or spiked wading boots to fish those Jack's. You would think people that dont know what there doing wouldn't even think about trying to fish on the end. My father who's in his later 60's wont fish the end of that jetty with me. Have had some really good nites there tho, but getting down near the water on the end is not for people that dont know what there doing, that's for sure.

It really is amazing that it doesn't happen more often.   Some people just don't know, they see fishermen out there and assume it's safe - having no idea we're wearing korkers.  I've watched some couple literally crawl back on their hands and knees after stepping on some ultra-slippery rocks. 

As far as those jacks go...they are the worst.  I've found that even korkers are no match for that smooth concrete.  If one foot starts sliding, it just can't 'bite' the way it does on rocks.  If you're venturing out on them, you should stay on the dry ones - in which case, I'd rather have rubber or felt soles on.