coastalfreak

Sailboats?

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Ah my misspent youth when I raced on boats all around Long Island Sound.  I could identify western Sound yacht club from the ceiling tiles in the bar, always a view I spent time admiring...

Crewed on a 1/2 ton Elvstrom boat, J24s, Lightnings and C&C 29s, 35, 39 and 40s.  Killed my liver at multiple Block Island and Newport Race weeks, and was part of the winning crew of the first Snoozeday Round Long Island Race. Even sailed on a Herreshoff design/built NY40, oh was she beautiful, and did a Mackinac Race during my 3 decade banishment from salt water in Chicagoland...

The person who lured me to racing did warn me, "When you start racing you will NEVER be able to sit down on a sail boat if a sail has a wrinkle" and boy was he right.  Whenever I see a poorly trimmed boat now I start scream, "HTH can you let your boat be pictured with that crappy trim???!!!".

Being an avid fisherman and a sailor is unusual, but was an advantage to the boats I was on.  "Hey we're bucking outgoing water here in the Gut, but if we hit the beach right now I know a back eddy that will give us a 2 kt push on the stern!!"  We head in and as soon as we hit the back eddy, the protest flags go up on 2 boats in the middle of Plum Gut accusing us of turning on the engine!!

Haven't sailed now for many moons and do miss it, but my obsession with Morone saxatilis only allows me a single aquatic mistress. Racing is a younger and richer man's sport of which I have many found memories, but no longer can .  From what I've been reading, now is a great time to buy a used sailboat as Millennials have no interest in sailing as they don't want to dedicate more than a couple of hours on a Saturday for boating.  No wonder companies like Hinckley are now making stink pots, which are selling like hot cakes...

Sailed most of my life......from age 20 to 72. Started sailing one designs on Barnegat Bay and gradually moved up. Sunfish, Melges M Scow,Oday 25, Bristol 32, Tartan 34,  Sabre 38.........and currently a Mason 44. We have sailed just about everywhere on the east coast from Norwalk,Va to the Canadian border.......spending many months in Maine. We currently sail to the Bahamas each winter and spend several months enjoying the crystal clear blue water and wonderful Bahamian people.............nothing better than no schedule and the freedom to drop the hook whereever you want.......did I mention cocktail hour at sunset.......

Currently a 20 foot center console but have owned a Catalina 22, 27 (tall rig) , 30 (tall rig) , Erwin 28. Belonged to a cruising club out of Northport LI. Recently picked up a Holder 14 to play with, but have not used it yet. Once sailing is in your blood it never leaves

I'm a power-boater, but have been dipping my toe into sailing and I completely get the appeal.  Do some day trips with friends on the Chesapeake, and did a bareboat catamaran in the BVIs this spring and can't wait to do it again.  Thinking retirement in 20 years might be a sailboat for cruising and overnighting and a small CC for fishing.  Guess I better get back to work.  

Catalina 27 owner here -- late 1980s model hailing from MHD Massachusetts. Nice commodious family boat for day sailing and cruises nearshore. Upgrade the rigging and hardware for when the wind comes up like one upgrades to 4x-6x VMC hooks on plugs. 

19 hours ago, squammer said:

Catalina 27 owner here -- late 1980s model hailing from MHD Massachusetts. Nice commodious family boat for day sailing and cruises nearshore. Upgrade the rigging and hardware for when the wind comes up like one upgrades to 4x-6x VMC hooks on plugs. 

Which harbor are you in? I am on westside, moored three rows off Village St docks. R2D2

2 hours ago, nightfighter said:

Which harbor are you in? I am on westside, moored three rows off Village St docks. R2D2

MHD harbor. Three rows off of The Landing Restaurant and Harbor Master dock area.

On 12/23/2019 at 9:14 AM, mako capt said:

I'd love to spend 6-8 months cruising the Bahamas and the Caribbean sometime before I croak.  Power or sail doesn't matter but sail would be the more practical way to do it.

I agree. That sounds like a blast for the bucket list.

23 hours ago, squammer said:

MHD harbor. Three rows off of The Landing Restaurant and Harbor Master dock area.

I know a lot of guys that chum catfood there to get their macks on their way out...

Started in a Daysalier when we moved back from germany, have had mirror dinghy's, interlakes, a 1941 dragon, sunfish, compac 16 and 19, cornthian and a capedory 26.  Could not get the wife to be comfortable on the boats so ended up moving to land campers.  Now with a place in florida in the everglades I keep my eyes peeled for compac 16 or picnic cat for gunk holing the area.

For you LI sailing guys, who I know will understand,  my goal is once we finish the Bahamian cruising on our Mason and sell the boat........I want a nice Hereshoff 12.5 sloop with self tending jib ,  to just sail around the harbors. Me and the wife, maybe a friend or two and a few cocktails and enjoy a nice evening just sailing with the breeze. In our many years of sailing just about every port/harbor from NJ to Canada , we always loved the harbor with a nice fleet of Hereshoff 12.5's. Every evening the folks would come out, cooler in hand and have their "very civilized" races in what I consider the best looking one design ever made........but then again I am a traditionalist.........looking forward to it......fair winds.