Sailboats?

Rate this topic

coastalfreak

On September 18, 2019 at 0:48 PM, makorider said:

That said, I think everyone should learn to sail.

my 13 year old put 15 nautical miles under her belt in a stiff NE a few weeks ago.  Got the hang of it and is begging my bud to be part of the Bermuda crew when it happens20190831_091705.jpg.f3406a09ce6374f4d284d7e6e7d2b931.jpg

Nice to see a young person doing something which doesn't involve a cell phone. Hope she keeps up with it. Learning about boats, sailing, etc. changed my life.

Grew up sailing with the family on LI, Sunfish to O'day 17 to Pearson 26 to O'day 30. Once they moved the 30 from the club in Manhasset Bay to their house on Mattituck Creek it was boring, nowhere to go on a daysail but out and toodle around. I've been kayaking for 30 years, 1st whitewater and now fishing for about the last decade. My current jones is for the Hobie Adventure Island sailing trimaran kayak with foot pedals. There's guys in Hawaii and Down Under doing serious bluewater fishing from these! It would open up areas I simply can't paddle to. But the logistics of storing and launching it are stopping me for now. I'd need a trailer and it would cost me $200/month to store it.

15 mins ago, valentine said:

Nice to see a young person doing something which doesn't involve a cell phone. Hope she keeps up with it. Learning about boats, sailing, etc. changed my life.

Careful what you wish for. My son, who I exposed to camping, fishing and whitewater as a tyke, is now at 20 is a serious rock and ice climber. It's terrifying.

Edited by gellfex

42 mins ago, gellfex said:

Careful what you wish for. My son, who I exposed to camping, fishing and whitewater as a tyke, is now at 20 is a serious rock and ice climber. It's terrifying.

That's better than having some wallflower who doesn't know how to go outside and talk to someone. I have 3 sons and I learned a long time ago that they are gonna do what they want whether I approve of it or not. I have always tried to educate them regarding the risks involved in making certain choices. My middle Son started his working life in the Merchant Marine. He's already got more  stamps in his passport than I ever did. He showed me a video he took from the top of a very high waterfall. It was some view. All of a sudden the camera view changed and I realized that he had jumped. Had to be a hundred foot drop. HOLY SHEET !!! Recently, he's told me that he's become interested in Alpine Climbing. We'll see if that actually goes anywhere but that's the "death zone" stuff. My other two sons are both in law enforcement. I'm both proud of them and not happy about it at the same time. 

1 hour ago, valentine said:

That's better than having some wallflower who doesn't know how to go outside and talk to someone. I have 3 sons and I learned a long time ago that they are gonna do what they want whether I approve of it or not. I have always tried to educate them regarding the risks involved in making certain choices. My middle Son started his working life in the Merchant Marine. He's already got more  stamps in his passport than I ever did. He showed me a video he took from the top of a very high waterfall. It was some view. All of a sudden the camera view changed and I realized that he had jumped. Had to be a hundred foot drop. HOLY SHEET !!! Recently, he's told me that he's become interested in Alpine Climbing. We'll see if that actually goes anywhere but that's the "death zone" stuff. My other two sons are both in law enforcement. I'm both proud of them and not happy about it at the same time. 

I’d much rather have my kids get their hands dirty and tired than their spirit from sitting inside all day. :) 

Edited by coastalfreak

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

52 mins ago, valentine said:

Recently, he's told me that he's become interested in Alpine Climbing. We'll see if that actually goes anywhere but that's the "death zone" stuff. My other two sons are both in law enforcement. I'm both proud of them and not happy about it at the same time. 

Yes, the alpine stuff is the worst, and he's on the verge of that. He spent the summer guiding ice climbers on an Alaskan glacier.  Be proud of your boys, but take solace that your LEO kids are safer than many professions like electrical linesman or commercial fisherman. It's just that officers down get more press.

Weird recent development in my family, my shy 17 year old daughter may end up an Eagle Scout like her big brother! After being a counselor 2 summers at the BSA camp her brother taught climbing at, she's now joined one of the first, recently allowed, all-girl BSA troops. She's a valuable ringer, having taught all the badges required for the first several ranks! She's an odd mix, happy to sit in her room all day with her computer, but has started an outdoor & hiking club at her urban high school. She's teaching them 'Scouting skills' without telling them.

Have owned a number of one design racing sailboats from widgeons to Etchells. Racing consumed the majority of my free time for much of my life. Also worked or crewed on many ocean racing boats and have thousands of delivery miles under my belt. Now it is all about power and fishing for me. At least next year, as I lost the past summer with a total knee replacement.

But the family has also been involved, and continues to be. Here is a photo of the custom 91' sloop my nephew is currently working on as #2. 

sonny.jpg

3 hours ago, nightfighter said:

Here is a photo of the custom 91' sloop my nephew is currently working on as #2. 

Awesome boat!  I assume it's a racer from it's look, and less comfortable than it could be below decks. I've said for years if I hit the lottery (if I actually played) I'd buy a nice comfy ketch or yawl and sail the world. But the wife hates sailing so that ain't happening, she'd freak when I put the gunwales in the water on the rock solid O'day 30.  I might try getting her on one of those luxury cats and see if that does it for her. It would be fun to toodle around the Caribbean with another couple or 2. 

Haven't had one in years.  got an itch to buy a 10 year old 16ft catalina daysailer locally.

Had an antares 17, catalinea 27, 21ft o'day, 16ft day sailor oday, an a vanguard 420.  Loved them all, hated all of them some days though........

I hammered bluefish like hell with that 21 oday and the antares in the east river by city island.   3 way rig with a heavy bucktail on bottom and a diamond jig or kastmaster out back.  Usually had a little bit of sail out.  Storm jib and a spare small main from a smaller boat.

On 11/6/2019 at 5:55 PM, nightfighter said:

Have owned a number of one design racing sailboats from widgeons to Etchells. Racing consumed the majority of my free time for much of my life. Also worked or crewed on many ocean racing boats and have thousands of delivery miles under my belt. Now it is all about power and fishing for me. At least next year, as I lost the past summer with a total knee replacement.

But the family has also been involved, and continues to be. Here is a photo of the custom 91' sloop my nephew is currently working on as #2. 

sonny.jpg

That there is the real deal

I was in awe at some of the rigs I saw when bareboating the BVIs.

Whats hullspeed on a 91'er?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2019 at 9:03 AM, makorider said:

I don't own any, but family has always owned.  Bristols, Flying scott, and of course a smattering of lasers and sunfishes.

Better than having a boat, as they say, are friends with boats.  I could never own a big sailboat, but I do go out quite often with a buddy who has a 38 Ericson.  We will be taking her to Bermuda at some point in the future

5042614_20150420110437296_1_XLARGE.jpg

My friend is on his way to his winter home.

AA7446C7-6192-45B3-B14D-22728EB4E1D8.png

"Ban Pre-shredded Cheese, Make America Grate Again"