coastalfreak

Sailboats?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I love a Ranger Bass Boat or a triple outboard offshore boat as much as everyone else, but I love sailboats!

Anybody got any? If so, I would love to see some pics. 

Never owned a sailboat, did the complete opposite, barefoot boating them. Never had a reason to own when I could get one anywhere I wanted to. Spent time in the BVIs each year. 

Largest was a 50’ cat. 

I don't own any, but family has always owned.  Bristols, Flying scott, and of course a smattering of lasers and sunfishes.

Better than having a boat, as they say, are friends with boats.  I could never own a big sailboat, but I do go out quite often with a buddy who has a 38 Ericson.  We will be taking her to Bermuda at some point in the future

5042614_20150420110437296_1_XLARGE.jpg

Sometime in future, i would like at aquire a sailboat. Hopefully before kids are grown. I could set a mooring in nc. Just looking at cheaper moorings in new england. 

When I was in high school we had a 21 or 23 foot sailboat for a few years when we were without a power boat.  .  I would sail out of Stonington harbor(CT)  in the evening and head out to Fisher's Island NY.   Anchor up in shallow harbor on the inside of the island, make dinner, etc, then wade into shore, hoof it across the island, and surf fish the backside of the island all night.  Catch a few zzzs and sail home.  Had a lot of fun  I wish I had more time to own/use a sailboat.

41 mins ago, jkrock said:

When I was in high school we had a 21 or 23 foot sailboat for a few years when we were without a power boat.  .  I would sail out of Stonington harbor(CT)  in the evening and head out to Fisher's Island NY.   Anchor up in shallow harbor on the inside of the island, make dinner, etc, then wade into shore, hoof it across the island, and surf fish the backside of the island all night.  Catch a few zzzs and sail home.  Had a lot of fun  I wish I had more time to own/use a sailboat.

I can see that. More time consuming then motorized boats.

4 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

I can see that. More time consuming then motorized boats.

Plus generally not readily trailerable, need a slip or a mooring, etc. 

Totally different ball game.  I do find them enjoyable though

Enjoyable to an extent.

Fun when there is a breeze and you're heeled over and moving.  Sucks when you're bobbing and sweating.  I said I could never own one...fun for a few hours, butt too much to burn so much of a weekend crawling around at 5-7 knots

I'm not talking about the smaller planning boats like the Flying Scott or the Hobie.  Lots of fun in stiff wind.

That said, I think everyone should learn to sail.

my 13 year old put 15 nautical miles under her belt in a stiff NE a few weeks ago.  Got the hang of it and is begging my bud to be part of the Bermuda crew when it happens20190831_091705.jpg.f3406a09ce6374f4d284d7e6e7d2b931.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sailing is a retired mans game, I figure.

Something to do when you do not have to be somewhere by some time, because the winds are fickle, and you might have to sail 15 miles to go 5.

But, I do know some successful sail boat fishermen, either on the troll, or on the hook. Summertime Spanish are a favorite of the trollers, dragging a silver spoon behind.

But, there is still nothing like the smell and sound of the twin Diesels firing up, rumbling the whole marina first thing in the morning.

Edited by dena

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:38 PM, MakoMike said:

Paul Forsberg, the founder of Montauk's Viking Fleet has a sailboat designed for canyon fishing.

I'd like to see that setup