coastalfreak

What am I doing wrong...

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I have an Abu C4 5600. It's my first baitcaster. I'm having trouble casting it without birdnesting. I have adjusted the spool tension knob, and it doesn't seem to help. When I thumb the spool, I lose serious distance. What should I do?

Also, the line I have on it is Trilene Smooth Casting 12 Pound. 

How much weight are you trying to cast and what rod?

I've found that with a baitcaster you dont release the thumb the same as releasimg a finger on a spinner. I let it start to slip before i get to the final release point.

Trying to use too light of weight and not paired with the right rod for said weight causes issues

My Abu is actually the easisest baitcater ive used. Baitcasters take A LOT of practice though.

Sounds like the spool is still spinning after the  bait/lure is hitting the water this sounds confusing but I’ve found this to be my problem when I first started I was either applying to much or not enough. Best thing I can tell you is to try and time it be ready to thumb your spool right before the bait hits the water hopefully another member can better explain this for you I know exactly what the issue is I just do know if. I explained it properly. Hopefully this helps though. 

9 mins ago, Badtothebugs said:

How much weight are you trying to cast and what rod?

I think I am using either 3/8 or 1/2 oz bullet sinkers with a texas rigged worm (this is in freshwater right now). I had it on a cheap Zebco casting rod. Was looking at a Castaway Croaker Smoker for saltwater stuff though since I primarily bait fish. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

coastal....the first thing is to adjust the spool tension to match the lure you are throwing the key is to have the spool tension just loose enough to let it slighty overrun when dropping the lure from the rod tip held up above the 1 or 2 o clock position...* then try to practice short distance accuracy and thumb control by casting to cups or rocks or any object to act as a target...this is tough to explain but the youtube videos below should help....the key is practice like crazy and put time on the water with it....

good luck in no time you'll be modifying that reel....and another tip...make sure to buy the practice wieghts they cut my learning curve by possibly years...throw and learn with the heavy lures first...

the lighter you go the tougher...try casting a rooster tail spinner on even the lightest rod/reel setup takes tremendous skill....again good luck.

Edited by TimS
Please don’t post commercial links here, we don’t allow it :-)

12 mins ago, Badtothebugs said:

Practice with 3/4 to 1 oz

Will do. I'll throw on some weights and just practice cast at the lake. I just got an Academy bait rod that throws up to 1 oz. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

50 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

I think I am using either 3/8 or 1/2 oz bullet sinkers with a texas rigged worm (this is in freshwater right now). I had it on a cheap Zebco casting rod. Was looking at a Castaway Croaker Smoker for saltwater stuff though since I primarily bait fish. 

Too light of a load for now. Skip the texas rig..whip a topwater 1oz or better , Dial that in with the brakes and then step down from there. You may find a small low profile will serve the lighter stuff like a texas rig better then round. 

Edited by The Riddler

A small tip till you get things dialed in is to let out enough line to cover what you think will be your longest cast, and then put a piece of tape on the rest of the spool, and then reel up the line again. This will prevent a really deep backlash that might otherwise cost you some line, if you are unable to pick it out. As far as casting goes, unfortunately it comes with practice and patience.

I’ve found a rod with a more moderate(ish) action, as opposed to fast or extra fast action might help. Not a noodle, but something you can really load.