Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slick706

Broken Rod Help

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I had a friend who owned. a 7''8 spin rod 8-12lb 3/8-3/4oz rated. His wife gave me the rod many years ago after he passed away at a very young age. This rod has a lot of sentimental value to me. It slipped out the back of my Jeep and I closed the back hatch door breaking off the bottom part of the tip (2 piece rod). Approximately 11 inches and a guide gone! I was told it was built on a St Croix Wild River blank but not sure. I do see an 8'6 rod same ratings being sold online. Can anyone recommend  a NJ rod builder to take on this work and build a new top half ? Pics below.

6342B249-950A-4988-AFD2-FED18B307F9B.jpeg

2668FD83-1708-48E9-8ABA-00366D399D65.jpeg

280D5EF0-CC55-4754-A39A-BF6974A81BF2.jpeg

i wouldnt trust a repair done like that. based on the location of the break and the fact that 11 inches will be gone (probably more after you cut away any split/crack section). Now 2 section2 that dont flex a like at all (cause there a foot missing) are joined, not the original progression. This would make me think the project is not worth is to fish again. If you want to salvage it and hang on a wall cause of the sentimental then you should try and do that yourself

Mike speaks the truth...  I recommend trying to find a replacement tip section and having it wrapped to match the old rod as the grip/lower section is thankfully intact.  

16 hours ago, tbush said:

Mike speaks the truth...  I recommend trying to find a replacement tip section and having it wrapped to match the old rod as the grip/lower section is thankfully intact.  

Theres a good idea if you want to keep the rod in play. 

Thanks guys. I know the model St Croix Wild River blank this was built on WRS86MF2. Maybe I can just buy the blank?  Or stock rod from St Croix and have a rod builder rewrap the top section for me. I am willing to shell out the $ whatever it takes. My issue now is who can I contact to rewrap the top section to match the bottom?