Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jayp195

Beach Cleanup

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Next Saturday, 21 Sept 2019, Save the Bay is organizing the RI Coastal Cleanup from 9-11 at the Charlestown Breachway and 10 -12 at East Beach/Blue Shutters.  It's a good effort by volunteers to clean up the mess created throughout the previous months, and a nice way to spend a couple of morning hours on the beach.  I always bring gear just in case a blitz happens to wander my way.  Garbage bags are provided.  Google the Coastal Cleanup in Rhode Island and sign up....or just show up.  Any amount of donated time is appreciated and helps out, you don't have to spend the entire 2 hours.  Kids are also welcome.

Donating a couple hours to clean up the place is a good idea. My fishing club in Westerly is involved every year as well. With so many blues around I expect to pickup a ton of stormshad and sluggo chunks.

On 9/17/2019 at 9:45 AM, SlackTideBri said:

Donating a couple hours to clean up the place is a good idea. My fishing club in Westerly is involved every year as well. With so many blues around I expect to pickup a ton of stormshad and sluggo chunks.

I would expect more plastic bags and sand worm boxes if I was you.

39 mins ago, Kima said:

I would expect more plastic bags and sand worm boxes if I was you.

Dunkin cups, soda bottles, and other crap that bait and wait lug out but refuse to bring back for some stupid reason

The grossest thing is the thousands (yes, thousands!) of cigarette butts.  The organizers want people to log everything they pick up but I don't bother.  I figure my time is better spent actually picking up debris/trash than writing a log.  I'll discuss what I found with the site organizer afterwards......let them write it down.