coastalfreak

Composite or Metal Bodies?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Which do you guys prefer? I prefer metal bodies because I fish a lot on rocks, piers, etc. and I am not nice to my gear. I also just like the feel of it. 

I think that's why I am such a Penn fanboy.

Thoughts?

Honestly I prefer the Hagane composite bodies over metal bodies just for sheer weight reduction, but sometimes like you pointed out ya just need a metal body.

On 9/14/2019 at 9:59 AM, coastalfreak said:

Which do you guys prefer? I prefer metal bodies because I fish a lot on rocks, piers, etc. and I am not nice to my gear. I also just like the feel of it. 

I think that's why I am such a Penn fanboy.

Thoughts?

Metal or Carbon bodies are best IMO; more rigid frames = better torque, strength, durability, and longevity. Graphite frames are flexible and don't typically hold up as well as aluminum/Ci4/Zaion. Graphite frames are OK for small fish, but for large saltwater fish you're way better off with a rigid frame.

It's all about structural rigidity and keeping gears, the shaft, and bearings aligned and under as little stress as possible.

I have no issues with plastic vs metal bodies in smaller reels say 5k and under. Larger than that I’d feel better with an all metal reel if I had  the choice. One of  my favorite older reels was the penn 550ssg. Stuck on a 8 or 9 foot it was very reliable for light surf work. That reel in particular was fairly water tight when packed with grease.