MacCTD

VR50 different versions?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Are there different versions or revisions of the VR50? I thought I read somewhere on there that the initial reels had some issues that were later corrected. I am planning on buying one in the next month or so and if there is a newer revision that is the one I would want. Thanks. 

I was thinking the same thing Mac was. I know there are countless threads on problems with this reel water intrusion, bearing failures, clutch issues and side covers falling off. Have they gotten the kinks out of it or these problems still occurring. 

I just picked one up used, and got a great deal.. I can’t believe how light it is. It was spooled with 15lb invisibraid which I am not a fan of. Line lay looks off, maybe a slight wobble but did not feel or see it when it was on my cts. The rod is a surf and jetty cb901-2 1/2-2.5 9 foot 2 piece aka baycaster on cts website. Anyway I will put this reel to the test I will let you know if any issues show up.

My guess is no. The original vr line up had a lot of issues and you never heard of a gen 2 fix. Maybe at some point vs did make them with upgraded parts but you have no way of knowing.

The 50 was better out of the box than the original by a long shot and people are still having minor issues. Craig talked about a completely waterproof roller bearing this spring and then I never heard from him or vs again. Seems to work well enough for my needs although a lighter saltx would be stiff competition.