reel gambler

4 more seals

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Four more Mystic seals released at Blue Shutters in Charlestown. Ringing the dinner bell...gonna look like the Cape before too long. 

Is it legal for them to even cross state lines with the marine mammals?

On 9/14/2019 at 7:13 AM, reel gambler said:

Four more Mystic seals released at Blue Shutters in Charlestown. Ringing the dinner bell...gonna look like the Cape before too long. 

Is it legal for them to even cross state lines with the marine mammals?

Must be if I'm not mistaken these were all from Maine . 

Here is the answer I got from Mystic on why they release seals at East Beach:

Once healthy and ready for release, we want to get them back into their natural habitat as soon as possible. As harbor seals do not live in family groups and are independent after their first month, it is not necessary to subject them to a long drive back to Maine, to the site of their original strandings. Mystic Aquarium does most of their releases in Charlestown, Rhode Island on sandy beaches near places we commonly see harbor and gray seals. This puts the seals in a good spot to navigate around New England waters, as we’ve learned from the satellite-tagged animals that Mystic has released. Harbor seals actually travel a great deal, and a seal that we release in Rhode Island could easily be in Maine or Connecticut in a few days.

My thoughts are if these seals could handle the trip when they were sick then they can handle the trip back when they are healthy. They did say why the will not release them in Mystic or in Watch Hill or Misquamicut.

I would love to see a shark come along and suck one of these varmints down right in front of everyone.

On 9/23/2019 at 11:14 AM, Quonnie said:

My thoughts are if these seals could handle the trip when they were sick then they can handle the trip back when they are healthy. They did say why the will not release them in Mystic or in Watch Hill or Misquamicut.

I would love to see a shark come along and suck one of these varmints down right in front of everyone.

It has to be more expensive to drive them to RI for release, rather just put them into the Mystic river. 

Three more seals to released tomorrow at East Beach. 

I aklso got a call from Charlestown PD, I guess the Mystic Aquarium is concern I might raise a rukus at the release tomorrow,  I talked to the Sargent who called and told no, but the more I thought about it it is within my right to protest these releases.

42 mins ago, Quonnie said:

Three more seals to released tomorrow at East Beach. 

I aklso got a call from Charlestown PD, I guess the Mystic Aquarium is concern I might raise a rukus at the release tomorrow,  I talked to the Sargent who called and told no, but the more I thought about it it is within my right to protest these releases.

You should and bring 100 of your closest friends with you. 

Jerry, Thank you for the heads up on the release of baby seals in the RI waters.  I am appalled and dismayed that I have not seen any data from RI DEM pertaining to this seal release.  I am concerned that these young seals will not migrate north and make RI waters their permanent home.  This may cause irreparable harm on the coastal environment, increasing shark predation, feeding on our edible fish population harvested by commercial fishermen (seal do not consume a whole fish they only take a bite out of the bellies, seeking the liver).  Would appreciate any assistance on how we at the CFCRI can comment and or thwart these releases in RI waters.

Appreciative,  Fred Mattera

Fred Mattera 

Executive Director 

Commercial Fisheries Center of Rhode Island  

Tel: (401) 741-4178   

Off:(401) 874-4568 Email: fredmattera66@gmail.com 

3 hours ago, Quonnie said:

Jerry, Thank you for the heads up on the release of baby seals in the RI waters. I am appalled and dismayed that I have not seen any data from RI DEM pertaining to this seal release. I am concerned that these young seals will not migrate north and make RI waters their permanent home. This may cause irreparable harm on the coastal environment, increasing shark predation, feeding on our edible fish population harvested by commercial fishermen (seal do not consume a whole fish they only take a bite out of the bellies, seeking the liver). Would appreciate any assistance on how we at the CFCRI can comment and or thwart these releases in RI waters. Appreciative, Fred Mattera Fred Mattera Executive Director Commercial Fisheries Center of Rhode Island Tel: (401) 741-4178 Off:(401) 874-4568 Email: fredmattera66@gmail.com

Fighting fire with fire.  Or bureaucracy with bureaucracy. Noice.

10 hours ago, Quonnie said:

Jerry, Thank you for the heads up on the release of baby seals in the RI waters.  I am appalled and dismayed that I have not seen any data from RI DEM pertaining to this seal release.  I am concerned that these young seals will not migrate north and make RI waters their permanent home.  This may cause irreparable harm on the coastal environment, increasing shark predation, feeding on our edible fish population harvested by commercial fishermen (seal do not consume a whole fish they only take a bite out of the bellies, seeking the liver).  Would appreciate any assistance on how we at the CFCRI can comment and or thwart these releases in RI waters.

Appreciative,  Fred Mattera

Fred Mattera 

Executive Director 

Commercial Fisheries Center of Rhode Island  

Tel: (401) 741-4178   

Off:(401) 874-4568 Email: fredmattera66@gmail.com 

Start by contacting DEM and the CCRI

CRMC responded they have no jurisdiction on the seal, this is Federal issue, I was told to contact NOAA and USFW at Ninigret for more information. Which I will. I imagine there has to be a permit or a permitting process I will see if I can see the permit and ask them for more details about where they release these selas.