Southcoastphil

Best process for cooling your guides?

Rate this topic

98 posts in this topic

Not the guys you pay to teach you, I'm referring to the guides on your rods.

Jumpin' Judas!!  As if I don't ALREADY have enough to worry about, here's yet another nuance to address.  It's making me nuts.

I *just* became aware of this, and I'm concerned that for years I've been ignoring what could be a problem with serious consequences if left unaddressed.  I'm so new to this potentially critical issue that I don't yet even know all of the problems it could cause, but I want to be ready.

Is there an optimal temp range for guides?  Does that range vary as a function of line (e.g., type, such as braid/mono/fluoro or diameter or breaking strength), reel type (convench vs spin), lure style or weight, ambient air and/or water temps?  If so, how?

Similarly, should I worry if I cool or heat them too quickly?  If so, could any of you provide guidelines for delta-temp/time (preferably in F*/minute)?

Might the solution be as simple as replacing the guides in all of my rods (or perhaps just those with guides most prone to heat-related failure?) with a FUJI ALCONITE tip top guide and FUJI HARDLOY ring guides?  

As always, TIA for your help.

4 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

Is this post for real and I don't mean reel..

You don't cool your guides?  You're missing an opprotunity to up your fishing prowess. 

Just figured out the best way to cool your fishing rods guides is just cast your line into water and then retrieve the line in turn having the water run off the line on to your guides.. Problem solved...

Those dollar store clip-on fans ought to work. Maybe they’ll add a little weight to the rod, but the benefits of cooler guides can’t be understated. 

OK, OK, you are all justifiably suspicious; I was too.

Until I saw this on the web:

"Tica’s UGSA Dolphin Surf Rods are some of TICA’s finest rods. Constructed from high modulus TC3 graphite, these rods are able to throw hard baits such as topwaters and spoons over long distances. Super light weights and smaller diameter blanks give you a rod ideal for walking long stretches of beach without fatigue, and the UGSA rods also feature high quality FUJI ALCONITE tip top guide and FUJI HARDLOY ring guides for better heat dissipation. These beautiful rods also come with custom diamond wraps, handmade in TICA’s state-of-the-art facility. Along with its splendid cosmetics, UGSA rods perform excellently and are a perfect match with TICA’s Talisman/Samira/Scepter/Abyss reel series. With its superior performance, TICA's UGSA surf rods are unbeatable out on the water."

They even mentioned it again in the following set of bullet points:

FEATURES:

■ Constructed of high modulus TC3 graphite material

■ Specially designed powerful surf casting rod

■ High quality FUJI alconite tip top guide and FUJI HARDLOY ring guides for better heat dissipation

■ FUJI DPS reel seat

■ Special TICA sliding fold-able hook keeper

■ Perfect match for Talisman/Samira/Scepter/Abyss reel series

■ High quality non-slip cork tape handle

■ High end, fast action TC3 graphite surf rods

■ Lightweight and sensitivity for all day comfort

■ Custom diamond wraps hand done in TICA's state of the art facility

■ Designed and developed for the United States

■ Highest performance surf rod available!

I always spray my guides with WD 40 before I go fishing, this makes any guide ring material super slick and there is zero heat dissapation issues. Every 3 trips I spray the line on the spool with a heavy saturation of WD 40. I've been doing it this for since I was a kid and have never had a problem with heat

I take my rods into the shower after I use them. I know I should have bought two piecers. It's tough to get a ten footer into the bathroom, never mind into the shower. I start with a normal hot shower and slowly turn off the hot water until the rods starts to shiver and shake. Then I dry them gently and toss them on the ground behind the garage.

Cryotherapy is any treatment that involves the use of freezing or near-freezing temperatures. Because cryotherapy is new, some potential benefits are not yet proven. Cryotherapy might be a safe alternative treatment for you hot guides Phil?