natsgrampy

canal current help

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

Planning a visit to the canal soon and had a question about how the current affects the striper fishing.

I have been looking at the ACE  Tide tables and was wondering where to fish for each direction the current flows.

In general, if the current is to the west, will that bring the fish into the canal from CCC? 

Or, if the current is to the east, will it push the bait out into CCC and bring the stripers into the canal?

Hoping to land a PB striper this fall, spent a few days there last fall and landed only 1 FA on my trip.

Either the bass are there or they're not..... 100% dependent on bait NOT current.

Your approach will change depending on the stage and flow direction.   

12 hours ago, natsgrampy said:

Planning a visit to the canal soon and had a question about how the current affects the striper fishing.

I have been looking at the ACE  Tide tables and was wondering where to fish for each direction the current flows.

In general, if the current is to the west, will that bring the fish into the canal from CCC? 

Or, if the current is to the east, will it push the bait out into CCC and bring the stripers into the canal?

Hoping to land a PB striper this fall, spent a few days there last fall and landed only 1 FA on my trip.

Just give it a go when you can. Anything could happen anytime. 

8 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Just give it a go when you can. Anything could happen anytime. 

That's my feeling too. I was hoping for some insight as to timing and which end to concentrate my limited time on.

I enjoyed fishing there last fall even though I didn't catch a striper in 3 days. ( sure beats work)

I've fished the canal in the 70's and haven't been for years. I've seen some blitzes of blues back then, but, am concentrating on SB now.

It's that time of year again and I'm headed to the Cape tomorrow for a weeks vacation. I did well at the canal in '17 and caught my PB fish in '18, but the past 2 years my results have been nothing to write home about. Handful of rats and a slot fish both years, and a whole lot of nothing. My approach has been random timing and location, usually early morning and back to the house by lunchtime. This year I'm thinking I need a better strategy. The thing I'm trying to figure out is how to predict which way the current is flowing at a given time? Is there a way to look at the tide chart and figure if it's gonna be flowing towards Buzzards Bay or towards Sandwich at what time? I know once I'm there I'll be able to calculate, but just trying to have a plan to start out.

3 mins ago, Redneck Tourist said:

It's that time of year again and I'm headed to the Cape tomorrow for a weeks vacation. I did well at the canal in '17 and caught my PB fish in '18, but the past 2 years my results have been nothing to write home about. Handful of rats and a slot fish both years, and a whole lot of nothing. My approach has been random timing and location, usually early morning and back to the house by lunchtime. This year I'm thinking I need a better strategy. The thing I'm trying to figure out is how to predict which way the current is flowing at a given time? Is there a way to look at the tide chart and figure if it's gonna be flowing towards Buzzards Bay or towards Sandwich at what time? I know once I'm there I'll be able to calculate, but just trying to have a plan to start out.

Google the Usace cape cod canal tide chart. It says what time the current changes from east to west. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 9/13/2019 at 8:13 PM, natsgrampy said:

The ebb/falling tide moves west, pulling cold water and bait fron CC  bay. The flood/rising tide moves east, pulling warmer water and bait from Buzzards Bay. If it's really muggy out you can tell when the colder water from CC Bay is taking over because a low fog comes spookily creeping down the canal. You can usually feel the temperature drop in the air as well.

The high and low tides happen appoximately 1 hour and 20 minutes after slack. If low tide in the east end is at 5:20 a.m., slack is around 4:00 a.m.

There's approximately a 2 hour difference betwen low in each end. If low tide is at 5:00 a.m. in the west end, low tide is at 7:00 a.m in the east end. Low wil be at appoximately 6:00 a.m. mid canal.

The time difference between high tides in both end is less than 2 hours.

It's a little bewildering at 1st, especially at "low" slack tide when the water level still falls for another hour and 20 minutes. The sheer volume of water that travels the canal, and then changes direction is immense so there's a lag between current direction changes and high & low tides.

I chart high tides, low tides and slack tides in the west end, east end and mid canal whenever I fish a full tide or more so I know when to fish and where. Sometimes the timing of these makes you scratch your head.

There are countless spots on the canal that fish really well at a specific hour or 2 during a particular part of the rising or falling tide. You don't learn that from the internet but by putting in your time at the canal.

Edited by zak-striper

35 mins ago, z-man said:

Google the Usace cape cod canal tide chart. It says what time the current changes from east to west. 

Ok got it. Actually very interesting to realize that the current change does not exactly coincide with the tide change. I always thought it took place at same time.

11 mins ago, zak-striper said:

The ebb/falling tide moves west, pulling cold water and bait fron CC  bay. The flood/rising tide moves east, pulling warmer water and bait from Buzzards Bay. If it's really muggy out you can tell when the colder water from CC Bay is taking over because a low fog comes spookily creeping down the canal. You can usually feel the temperature drop in the air as well.

The high and low tides happen appoximately 1 hour and 20 minutes after slack. If low tide in the east end is at 5:20 a.m., slack is around 4:00 a.m.

There's approximately a 2 hour difference betwen low in each end. If low tide is at 5:00 a.m. in the west end, low tide is at 7:00 a.m in the east end. Low wil be at appoximately 6:00 a.m. mid canal.

The time difference between high tides in both end is less than 2 hours.

It's a little bewildering at 1st, especially at "low" slack tide when the water level still falls for another hour and 20 minutes. The sheer volume of water that travels the canal, and then changes direction is immense so there's a lag between current direction changes and high & low tides.

I chart high tides, low tides and slack tides in the west end, east end and mid canal whenever I fish a full tide or more so I know when to fish and where. Sometimes the timing of these makes your head scratch.

There are countless spots on the canal that fish really well at a specific hour or 2 during a particular part of the rising or falling tide. You don't learn that from the internet but by putting in your time at the canal.

Awesome info there. I've been fishing the canal for about 8 years now but I only get 1 week per year.....lol. So it's hard for me to get it all figured out in that limited time. It is alot to compute with high vs low tide plus the current turns all at different times. In the past my best results were on incoming tide closer to the end it was coming in. I never really gave much thought to the current turn, thinking it was taking place about same time as the tide change. Maybe I can improve my results a little this year if I can put all of this to good use. Thanks!

On 9/14/2019 at 3:48 AM, TBYRD said:

Either the bass are there or they're not..... 100% dependent on bait NOT current.

Your approach will change depending on the stage and flow direction.   

There was a time, and not that long ago, when the Canal had resident fish, and they were there regardless of whether there was bait. Bass eat lots of critters. You never knew what you'd find in them, if you kept one. Lobsters were common. Mussels and clams, baby scup, choggies. 

47 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Lobsters were common. Mussels and clams, baby scup, choggies. 

And crabs. lots of crabs. I can't tell how many times I fileted a mid-late summer canal striper and it had a belly full of crabs.

20170809_121238.jpg.b2c926fcf941ded9625fad78381fcf5d.jpg