Tin Boat

TUFLINE XP braided line

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I won a spool of this braid in the Derby. Anyone tried it? Label says it is 150 yards of 30 lb. test, but it feels like 65 and it overfills my Daiwa BG 3000 rated for 190 yards of 30#. Color is blue.

Edited by Tin Boat

It is by no means a bad line, in fact it's well above average in my opinion. Holds up very well over time, if that matters to you.

It isn't the smoothest line for casting, but the spool on a BG3000 is fairly big for a spinning reel and I don't think it will matter too much as long as you aren't trying to throw quarter oz stuff around. Other than that, it's good stuff.

Looking at the awesome spreadsheet here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z0rt7cbdccq2on7/Latest Braid Test.xlsx?dl=0

You can see it holds up pretty well against the bigger names in fishing line. If I won a spool I wouldn't hesitate to fish it. A buddy of mine has had a tufline spool for two years and he always outfishes me (so maybe I should switch?)

I've used it, and may even have reels with it still on them, although they would be casting reels, not spinning. I agree with the previous comments, it's a decent line. I went to the 882 and like it better, but would not have issue to going back to the Tufline if I couldn't get the 882. 

I have no idea why it would overfill your BG. 

It's got a coating on it, maybe it doesn't lay as flat as others. The coating is also relatively grippy, and it took me a while to reduce the number of wraps to use for a given knot. With braid, I generally double the wraps I'd use with mono of a similar diameter, doing so with Tufline resulted in the knots tangling before they tightened. 1.5x is about right.