jjdbike

Help replacing rear trebels w/ single in-lines please

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Hey Folks,

Looking forward to later Sept and fishing the mullet run.

Last year we had several sessions where the blues were very aggressive. It was a blast on light tackle. They were all over poppers, small SP's and Bomber Long Shots and epoxy jigs. There were a few stripers mixed in. I'll be working harder to find those this year. 

The biggest pain and danger to both fish & us quite litterelly were the rear trebles. I am looking at VMC's at Tackle direct. Not sure what sizes to use. What size would you use for the rear of:

• Small bomber or SP minnow.
  • Medium size SS little neck or Tsunami Talking popper?

I plan on using a split rig to make sure the hook is pointing up not sideways. Any other suggestions?

Respecfully,

JD

I would just recommend diamond jigs with single hooks for most of the fall and bucktail. Don’t need to use anything expensive especially if a lot of blues are around and just mostly smallbass are around. Those two cover distance and presentation for the most part. Other than that, big metal lip if you want a chance at a quality fish that night

Hook up ratio with inline hooks is poor. If your trying to catch bluefish on top water you really only a siwash on the back of the plug. As far as bass, your best bet is fishing plugs with one treble up front. Dave Andersen posted a video on YouTube that should be checked out if you really get into plug fishing for bass. I crush all my barbs but, all good plugs were designed with the weight and swing of the hook factored into the action.

Using two singles really changes the action of a lure like an sp, might want to try throwing something like a Shimano waxwing if fish are eating a wobble that wide.

If I know there's blues in thick I have a lip gripper and long pliars handy 

jj, I just went today and got a few dressed siwash hooks size 5/0 and a box of VMC 4Xstrong short shank 4/0 trebles to replace some of my older/rusted hooks on Super Strike little Neck swimmers,poppers and zigzag darters.

5 mins ago, PCstriper said:

jj, I just went today and got a few dressed siwash hooks size 5/0 and a box of VMC 4Xstrong short shank 4/0 trebles to replace some of my older/rusted hooks on Super Strike little Neck swimmers,poppers and zigzag darters.

20190913_170918.jpg.47ecaf40670cbd7afbd7f867345198fd.jpg

6 mins ago, PCstriper said:

Dressed siwash look so damn good on a plug. 

Surfland has a good assortment, and I have a few I’ve been reluctant to put on a plug from Ryan (RM Smith) for fear of losing them because they are really perfect. He rewired a plug and sent me a couple. 

Oh well, maybe for the fall run. 

13 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

Using two singles really changes the action of a lure like an sp, might want to try throwing something like a Shimano waxwing if fish are eating a wobble that wide.

If I know there's blues in thick I have a lip gripper and long pliars handy 

Thanks Sir,

yes, pliers & lip grippers are worth weight in gold when blues are thick. Heck, even makes life easier & safer w/ fluke & bass.

13 hours ago, PCstriper said:

12 hours ago, PlumFishing said:

Dressed siwash look so damn good on a plug. 

Surfland has a good assortment, and I have a few I’ve been reluctant to put on a plug from Ryan (RM Smith) for fear of losing them because they are really perfect. He rewired a plug and sent me a couple. 

Oh well, maybe for the fall run. 

Love Surfland, & Plum Island for that matter!

So I’m thinking dressed or even undressed siwash is different & better then “inline single w/ split ring”?

Am I correct in assuming the difference is more the plugs we put them on witch are larger & less sensitive to changes in action, e.g., SS little neck, ZigZag, wooden metal lip swimmers vs plastic bombers, SP minnows etc. is this correct?

I've always been told that dressed hooks must be very sparsely dressed or they will negatively impact casting. 

I’m also wondering if the large sort shank super wide gap & long deep point might do a better job of biting & holding vs the inlines?

Further, these dressed siwash hooks are open eye. We often do not use a split ring & pinch it right to rear wire hook hanger. This limits the movement of the rear single hook & presumably keeps it pointing up. If the plug’s  rear wire hook hanger is at wrong angle, we just bend it w/ pliers to correct the angle.

Might this increase hook ratio over inline?

I also know that adding a split ring or even two to rear dressed siwash hooks can increase casting distance as it allows hook to fold under plug while in flight.

I’m gonna keep belly treble & simply crush barbs. 

Thoughts?

JD

15 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Hey Folks,

Looking forward to later Sept and fishing the mullet run.

Last year we had several sessions where the blues were very aggressive. It was a blast on light tackle. They were all over poppers, small SP's and Bomber Long Shots and epoxy jigs. There were a few stripers mixed in. I'll be working harder to find those this year. 

The biggest pain and danger to both fish & us quite litterelly were the rear trebles. I am looking at VMC's at Tackle direct. Not sure what sizes to use. What size would you use for the rear of:

• Small bomber or SP minnow.
  • Medium size SS little neck or Tsunami Talking popper?

I plan on using a split rig to make sure the hook is pointing up not sideways. Any other suggestions?

Respecfully,

JD

I’ve  been using the VMC siwash hooks in 1/0 or 2/0 for years. Never any issues 

The only treble I switch out for a single would be switched out with a dressed siwash. I like my trebles just fine. I go to the singles to get better action on the plugs such as a ss popper that fished much better with a dressed single in back. Regardless of how a single hooks point rides, I use a split ring so I can swap them back out. Generally speak I always felt I dropped more fish with singles.