Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ryan D.

Wildwood Crest area

8 posts in this topic

I hope this post is okay and not violating any rules.  Just wondering if anyone on here is fishing in the Wildwood Crest area.  I'm thinking about buying a kayak this upcoming spring.  Is there a "best" time to buy a used kayak?  I guess fall/early winter would find the best prices?

I owned an ocean kayak - drifter years and years ago.  Put it in the bay and ocean a couple times, but didn't use it enough, so sold it.  Young children have pretty much kept me away from fishing for the last 4 years or so, but they're becoming more manageable for the wife now and I should be able to get out more starting in the spring.  Plus we have a place in the Crest that's just a few blocks to Sunset Lake and easy launching I think.

In my head, I'm planning on fishing the back bays for flounder/striper/blues etc.  would love to learn how to catch tog and sheepshead in the back as well.  I plan on paying a couple of the local charter guys to give me some knowledge of those fisheries.  

Any tips, thoughts or suggestions are welcome.  I guess I'll be visiting Sterling Harbor to look at and maybe try out some 'yaks before buying something.  

Thanks all!

Ryan

There's a store in Cape May Courthouse called the Kayak Fishing Store.  I've never been there, but might be worth checking out.  I fish Cape May County from my kayak quite a bit, but I've never taken it out in Wildwood Crest or Cape May.  There are a ton of back bay spots to explore, I haven't even scratched the surface.  

On 9/13/2019 at 1:08 PM, AlwaysWading said:

You could head over to No Bones B&T at the base of the rio grande bridge, Fred could tell you a lot about fishing the back bay in that area.

Thanks.  I've always read all of Fred's posts going back over 10 years to the ******** days.  I will definitely be visiting him for one of the secret maps when I'm getting out on the water.  I've been over to see him a couple of times with the kids to pick up bait for fishing from land.  

On 9/13/2019 at 0:52 PM, Ryan D. said:

thanks.   I did find that and will definitely be checking it out.  

Ryan the crew at the Kayak Fishing Store are second to none. They are all kayak fisherman and fish your area. Best bunch of guys around!

5 hours ago, robmedina said:

Ryan the crew at the Kayak Fishing Store are second to none. They are all kayak fisherman and fish your area. Best bunch of guys around!

thanks Rob.  i've definitely got plenty of questions for them.  

On 9/23/2019 at 5:05 AM, robmedina said:

I live about an 1 1/2 hours north of there but I knew there was that place. I didn’t know there name. My buddy that was in the business told me about that place. He said they were great and super nice owners