NJ Dave

Flying w/ tackle ?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

NJ to Florida 

Jet blue

Any issue with a reel with braid and lures in  carry on luggage? 

Few days, no need to spend $60 on a checked bag 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Dont bring a knife (I was able to check it under plane or was going to have it tossed)

Everything else was fine.  I made sure to warn them before they dug in.  Only question was why are bag and waders wet.  Said I was fishing 2 hours ago.  Ok, enjoy the flight.  

Edited by NJTramcar

Flew with some trebles, hooks, and other terminal including some rapala scissors. Surprised though actually went through but out of everyone my mom got stopped for having too much food in her bag and they didnt even question my stuff haha. Note: i wasn’t carrying and shark hooks so it’s probably fine 

I've traveled a bunch with tackle in my carry-on. One time I flew with 14 reels packed in my bag, ranging from a BG2500 to an 80W all spooled with braid, their eyes lit up when it passed through the xray andnthey let me though after opening the bag.  Same thing happened when I traveled with about 70lbs of lead jigs (no assist hooks, I checked those).

I've also traveled with plugs and trebles, as a preventative measure I make sure to separate the hooks (which I still bring in the carry-on) from the body so if they say anything I can ditch the hooks and keep the plug but it's always been fine.

They took my 6” pliers (about $30.00), although they didn't violate the tool length policy. I was told the pliers would be given to the boy scouts. Another time, I checked my realism because they asked me to with a big smile, no charge, and when I took them out at my destination, I could tell someone non-expertly disassembled them, and put the reels back together loose with parts out of order.

Other than that my reels, lines, sinkers, swivels, and even hooks, have flown with me in the over head without a problem.

That TSA has room for interpretations with what is allowed and is not.... Lol 

Going to play it safe and just check the bag on the way down and dehook accordingly for the way back. 

Thx to all 

4 hours ago, NJ Dave said:

That TSA has room for interpretations with what is allowed and is not.... Lol 

Going to play it safe and just check the bag on the way down and dehook accordingly for the way back. 

Thx to all 

This is true better to be safe than sorry. One time some idiot said that I needed to strip the line off of my reels in the future. He said it could be used as a choking method and I was like yeah right. Never had a problem after that, but it’s scary to think all it takes is 1 robocop to ruin your trip.

With Jet Blue, you can usually upgrade to "Even more Space" for 30-40 bucks and get a better seat plus one free checked bag, early boarding, and a quick pass for the TSA line.

I flew Jet Blue with a bunch of bucktails I had tied while on the road (with hooks) and was able to carry the bag on. I showed it to TSA first and asked if it would be OK to carry on. They said no problem.

Kind of Ironic that you can take a bag full of 7/0 hooks onboard, but they'll confiscate your nail clippers and water bottle.

14 hours ago, Mpmuddy said:

How about carrying on a travel rod?

I believe it has to fit on the carry on, if so you should be good.

I did not want to chance my bags. Aside from lures I had some fresh sausage and frozen fish for my mother in law, all which was worth more that the $30 to check the bag.

For the ride home ist just the lures, most which I will leave here for future use. The remainder will be de hooked to avaid any problems.