Buckmark22

Penn 145 - sideplate removal issue

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Good Morning!  I have a new to me 145 squidder and the sideplate is a bear to twist on and off.  Any suggestions on how to get this so I don't have to use a strap wrench to remove/replace the side plate?  I am going to do a full tear-down/overhaul/regrease, but I've never had on that is so bloody tight!  Many thanks!

Google Penn 146/145/140 Rebuild.

The sideplate has a thumb screw shown in the tutorial. You have to slightly lift it 1st then turn counterclockwise. 

Edited by Slick706

Slick - I regretted not stating the obvious immediately after posting....I  know that you have to unscrew and retract that screw on the sideplate.  Fully retracted, the sideplate is a beotch to get off and then back on again.  Looking for advice on the non-obvious things that may be at issue.

Thank you to MM and Maine Guide!  I have not done the full teardown yet, but I will start it this weekend.  Maybe one of the screwheads are sitting a little proud and keeping it from turning easily (but I didn't see any drag marks on the mating piece) or to check out of round!

Once it is cleaned of the excess grease, perhaps i'll smoke the plates w/ a little kerosene lamp black and then put the parts together to see where/how it's binding.

As someone else mentioned, the Alan Tani tutorial is a great step by step tutorial. Make sure you switch over to the greased HT 100’s while in there. 

The guts of these are old-hat for me....but I appreciate the breakdown advice all the same!  I am putting in a set of smoooth drags and smoooth washers.  I have a set of newell posts that I just won on fleabay, so that will be upgraded as well.   I'll update as I get into the reel once all of the new(ish) parts arrive.

Ok gang, here's the update.  Disassembled, cleaned, reassembled with newell posts and a full set of smooothdrag steel and carbonex washers....and a new to me plastic spool (because I am a cheap bastard who refuses to spend 55 on an aluminum spool).

The sideplate is just rediculously tight.  I tried the following to no real avail.

• tightened all of the screw
  • stoned the tops of the screws down to make sure nothing was interfering
  • stoned the edge of the fixed sideplate (makes a really sharp edge by the way once completed...ouch!)
  • stoned the tops of the three studs on the sideplate
  • adjusted the slots that engage the three studs on the sideplate (opened them up both slightly and agressively with no real change in results)
  • I painted the inside of the ring with grease to see where the interference is happening to no avail

It's just a tight to almost interference fit to get it to turn the last 5-degrees so I can engage the thumb-screw lock.

I have a spare fixed side plate (under the removable sideplate) that I am going to try next.

Any other brilliant ideas?

Borrow another headplate for a test fit if you can.  Try your plate in a different reel too.  The old Penn sideplates are known to swell ever so slightly over time.  I've had old Senators that you could not replace the trim rings on, I had to use a small file to remove some material to get the new ones to seat on the plate.

If you compare the three alignment pins on the 145 side plate to a more current Production Squidder you’ll see The newer design protrudes far less than those of the 145. The right ring of a 140-145-146 all interchange on paper but not in real life. What you probably have is a new right ring. Try and locate a older Squidder With matching pin style and test fit. You’ll probably see a difference and solve the problem.