robmedina

another boat - kayak collision

63 posts in this topic

13 mins ago, flylikabird said:

It's not like that at all.   You're a boater, YOU ARE THE CAPTAIN and at the helm running and possibly gunning from one vector to another.  It's your responsibility to to not hit ANYBODY!!!!

I don't give a f@$%k if you can't see a kayak or a friggin' Lobster Pot...don't hit objects in the water! 

Be responsible for your actions on the ocean just like you're held responsible on the pavement!

Kayakers have to take responsibility too.  Its not a one way street.  

the guys in the boat I believe live in a house near by. they  the launch the boat from below the house, since this spot is to far to run to from the ramp with that size and why would you? You would pass more fish on the way. I think the guys in the boat were not happy about there spot getting YouTubed and were not going to go out of the way to look out for new traffic the spot was getting. Probably wanted to scare him off but it backfired when he had a cam recording the whole thing. 

Edited by Tbird650

That’s crazy. Why they didn’t call the Coast Guard or police is beyond me.  Registration number was pretty clear in the video and his friend was close enough to see it.  

my comments are still at the moderator-approved step, so i'm not posting real-time.  But i would encourage every to watch the followup video that I posted, he talks about what happened after 

Edited by jon_elc

The wife and I were kayaking in the Mystic River last Sunday and dodged a harbor tour boat that was heading right for us.  He didn’t slow or change course, we just got out of his way.  You really have to pay attention on the water, regardless if you are in a boat or kayak.  Distraction is a real thing for drivers and boaters.

In a kayak, I’m assuming a boater won’t see me and I’m responsible for getting out of the way.

Here lies A.N.Other

Beloved father, brother and son

Went to his grave being right

He still will be missed

9/9/1982 - 8/8/2019

13 hours ago, Seadogg said:

For 3 people in a small skiff to not see that kayaker, he couldn’t have been too easy to spot.

Not the issue.  I came close to being run over by a bigger boat while in a 14' skiff last year.  Sure, I wouldn't have a dark colored kayak, but it's the responsibility of the boat operator to be aware of his or her surroundings, and to proceed at a safe speed.

11 hours ago, jon_elc said:

my comments are still at the moderator-approved step, so i'm not posting real-time.  But i would encourage every to watch the followup video that I posted, he talks about what happened after 

My apologies, normally posts are approved much, much more quickly. I'm quoting the video you posted so the guys that missed that post chronologically can see it :wave:

13 hours ago, jon_elc said:

he posted a followup video, which is a lessons-learned, and includes adding a 4' lighted flag to his kayak

15 hours ago, dbjpb said:

If you see a motor boat heading for you get out of the way. Assume he does not see you. Don’t waste time waving your arms. Paddle or pedal like crazy . Last year a charter boat ran over a fishing boat that was anchored. The charter was on auto pilot.   Simple physics. Big boat little kayak. You hear the boat coming. Get out of the way. Does not  matter who is right or wrong. Just get out of the way.

THIS!!!! If i even see a boat heading toward me in the distance i'm already making moves to be sure he does not hit me and i'm fully prepare to stand and jump if need be.

29 mins ago, mrl said:

Not the issue.  I came close to being run over by a bigger boat while in a 14' skiff last year.  Sure, I wouldn't have a dark colored kayak, but it's the responsibility of the boat operator to be aware of his or her surroundings, and to proceed at a safe speed.

Yea, I toooootally get it’s the boater’s responsibility. I get it, and I’m not disagreeing one bit. All I’m saying is that kayakers need to make themselves visible, almost obnoxiously, since relying on other people’s adherance to rules, safe speed, and blah blah blah is a fool’s errand. Knowing this, operating in areas of heavy boat traffic increases that risk. Like I said earlier, who’s supposed to be doing what won’t matter after you’ve been run over and injured or killed. 

My neighbor was broadsided while anchored out at the shrewsbury rocks last fall by a sailboat on autopilot.  all on board the sailboat where below deck.  sailboat went up and over the cabin....scary stuff

Sometimes the biggest flag in the world wouldn't prevent incidents like this.  My buddy was on a 40' sailboat that got broad sided by an off duty DC cop driving a speedboat, under the influence.  My buddy was airlifted with multiple fractured vertebrae and the cop got off with nothing, because, well ya know...  he was 'connected.'

Be safe out there guys & gals.