robmedina

another boat - kayak collision

63 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Seadogg said:

I watched this video a few days ago and to be honest, I’m not really sure how I feel about it. The odds of all three people on board just completely not paying attention is hard to believe

I agree. If im a passenger onboard I’m always on the lookout for crab pots and surface boils 

Edited by kombi_rs

16 mins ago, FizzyFish said:

really, not stopping after a collision is not part of the issue, what is the issue then?  The kayak did not have a flag so the boat operator is justified in not stopping to check if there were any injuries??? 

No, man he’s not justified. Whether he stopped or not, the issue was hitting the kayaker. What the boat did or didn’t do afterwards wasn’t part of my post. All I said, pretty plainly, was that they must not have seen him.

2 mins ago, Seadogg said:

No, man he’s not justified. Whether he stopped or not, the issue was hitting the kayaker. What the boat did or didn’t do afterwards wasn’t part of my post. All I said, pretty plainly, was that they must not have seen him.

true, but whose fault is it that he did not see the kayak is it?

Just now, FizzyFish said:

true, but whose fault is it that he did not see the kayak is it?

Honestly, I’d say it’s more on the boater, but did the kayaker do enough to be easily visible? I guess not. 

6 hours ago, mmiller said:

We just lost a popular Hobie sailor to a boat collision. She was sailing an 18 footer in a 100-mile race in Rhode Island... Rundown from behind by a powerboat. Killed her. The sweetest woman... so sad. That 18 footer had a 28 foot tall mast and full sails... WTF!

Wow so sorry she lost her life due to negligence. So sad. 

instead of kayaker, replace with bolder. Black boulder barely sticking up amongst the waves. Boater hits the boulder and puts a hole in boat. Who is at fault? The bolder or the boat captain? 

Edited by robmedina

If you see a motor boat heading for you get out of the way. Assume he does not see you. Don’t waste time waving your arms. Paddle or pedal like crazy . Last year a charter boat ran over a fishing boat that was anchored. The charter was on auto pilot.   Simple physics. Big boat little kayak. You hear the boat coming. Get out of the way. Does not  matter who is right or wrong. Just get out of the way.

Edited by dbjpb

1 hour ago, Seadogg said:

Honestly, I’d say it’s more on the boater, but did the kayaker do enough to be easily visible? I guess not.

I see it differently. The boater should’ve watched where he was going, period. Yes, kayakers need to increase their visibility to help protect themselves, but would you blame a pedestrian for getting hit by a distracted driver? I see this as pretty much the same thing. And the boater not stopping to see if the kayaker was OK tells you all you need to know about it possibly being an honest mistake.

1 min ago, drmevo said:

I see it differently. The boater should’ve watched where he was going, period. Yes, kayakers need to increase their visibility to help protect themselves, but would you blame a pedestrian for getting hit by a distracted driver? I see this as pretty much the same thing. And the boater not stopping to see if the kayaker was OK tells you all you need to know about it possibly being an honest mistake.

Again, the boater is basically at fault, but kayakers need to make themselves visible and/or avoid areas of high boat traffic. For 3 people in a small skiff to not see that kayaker, he couldn’t have been too easy to spot. That said, who’s right or wrong won’t matter to the kayaker who’s been killed or seriously injured. Do all you can to prevent accidents, and if you need to rely on the judgment or safe operation of others to ensure your safety, you’re taking a huge gamble. I’m absolutely not defending the boater, here BTW. I’m a professional captain, on the water daily. I see more stupidity than I care to recall. 

Dark green kayak, blue and gray cooler, blue pfd, black hat and wetsuit. You can’t get much more invisible than that on the water.  Through in some solar glare and swells and no one is going to see you. 

11 mins ago, Seadogg said:

Again, the boater is basically at fault, but kayakers need to make themselves visible and/or avoid areas of high boat traffic. For 3 people in a small skiff to not see that kayaker, he couldn’t have been too easy to spot. That said, who’s right or wrong won’t matter to the kayaker who’s been killed or seriously injured. Do all you can to prevent accidents, and if you need to rely on the judgment or safe operation of others to ensure your safety, you’re taking a huge gamble. I’m absolutely not defending the boater, here BTW. I’m a professional captain, on the water daily. I see more stupidity than I care to recall. 

I agree the boater certainly didn’t hit the kayaker on purpose, I’m just saying, seems like gross negligence more than the boater having a hard time seeing. It looked to me like the passengers were trolling and looking towards the stern so I’m not surprised they didn’t see the kayaker either. 

It's not like that at all.   You're a boater, YOU ARE THE CAPTAIN and at the helm running and possibly gunning from one vector to another.  It's your responsibility to to not hit ANYBODY!!!!

I don't give a f@$%k if you can't see a kayak or a friggin' Lobster Pot...don't hit objects in the water! 

Be responsible for your actions on the ocean just like you're held responsible on the pavement!

Why is it considered responsible for captains to throw it on auto pilot inshore or offshore and not be held responsible for destruction on the high seas?

Edited by flylikabird