robmedina

another boat - kayak collision

63 posts in this topic

Goes to show how tough how tough the kayaks can be, and that plastic shear pin for the rudder comes in handy. The guy who got hit is remarkably calm, kudos to him for the quick pedal to avoid getting hit in the middle. 3 guys on that boat and not one saw the kayaker, what BS. I hold the passengers just as responsible, as most boats I've ever been on, the captain says "if you see something, let me know, I might not see it and I'd rather know twice than not at all." I've been through a very similar scenario only luckily it was only with a crew-style 2 man row boat. I was drifting down the center of the river, jigging the bottom, and usually I check my surroundings fairly often. I looked up and saw the boat approaching me, and of course they're faced the opposite direction from travel, just getting a good workout in. So I shouted repeatedly, then quickly paddled backwards to avoid a center strike, and they hit the front of my boat going at a good clip. They were both very startled, I think one or both may have had headphones in, and were not quite as apologetic as I expected (maybe because they were just so shocked and embarrassed). I just gave them a quick lecture on how they should constantly be checking to see where they're going, and how the crash might've been much worse if I hadn't been looking up. I checked my boat quickly for damage, and let them go on their way. Had that been a power boat, there would have been a lot more damage I assume, but I probably would've just paddled backwards as soon as I saw them and not bothered shouting. 

A few years back I was returning home to my marina on my Grady Sailfish.. I passed under the Marine Park Bridge, which is the entrance to Jamaica Bay in N.Y. at a reduced speed, and as I emerged on the east side of the bridge I almost hit a Kayak. The miss had nothing to do with me avoiding the yak, but simply good luck. Somehow the bow/pulpit blocked my sight enough to completely block my vision.  A 4' flexible, plastic wand with a small hi-vis flag would have definitely made the difference.The experience made me aware (again) about how a quiet day on the water, can quickly turn to an unpleasant substance. 

Flying a flag is a good idea, but still can't replace "eyes on the water" to prevent possible tragedy.

There have been a few collisions where the boater was either distracted or completely negligent in their operation of the watercraft.

Seems more and more like the kayakers need a pair of eyes on the back of their head, and to always be on the lookout of errant/reckless/ignorant boaters.

Note - not ALL boaters fall into this group, but the few "bad apples" tend to spoil the view of all the rest.

Posted (edited) · Report post

What a crazy story! He throttles up just in time. I would have been screaming at that guy in the powerboat... this guy is sooo cool and calm under the pressure! And a nice fish as a Karma present! 

We just lost a popular Hobie sailor to a boat collision. She was sailing an 18 footer in a 100-mile race in Rhode Island... Rundown from behind by a powerboat. Killed her. The sweetest woman... so sad. That 18 footer had a 28 foot tall mast and full sails... WTF!

Edited by mmiller

Lots of bad apples out there. I have had boaters purposely and accidentally wake me in no wake zones.  There is usually a coast guard boat and state police boat in the immediate area and they do absolutely nothing.  They watch as boats speed and wake near this particular bridge.  

3 hours ago, dieselgrady said:

A few years back I was returning home to my marina on my Grady Sailfish.. I passed under the Marine Park Bridge, which is the entrance to Jamaica Bay in N.Y. at a reduced speed, and as I emerged on the east side of the bridge I almost hit a Kayak. The miss had nothing to do with me avoiding the yak, but simply good luck. Somehow the bow/pulpit blocked my sight enough to completely block my vision.  A 4' flexible, plastic wand with a small hi-vis flag would have definitely made the difference.The experience made me aware (again) about how a quiet day on the water, can quickly turn to an unpleasant substance. 

WOW .....Great perspective from the other side, thank you for your honesty & advice :th:

If you look closely, it's all teenagers on the boat. We have the same problem where I am - people letting kids as young as 12 drive small Whalers all over the place. Age isn't the only issue, plenty of older adults with limited skills/experience/intelligence driving boats around. No flag will save you from getting hit by one of those.

Not to totally victim blame here, but note the colors of his boat and gear. All dark blue & black. Not a single bright, visible item. This is not "defensive driving".  All my boats are red or yellow, my paddle bright orange, and I have a orange flag and light on a pole. My PFD is blue, but I regret not holding out till an orange one was in stock.  You can't paddle a "camo" colored boat and then complain you're not seen!

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

note the colors of his boat and gear. All dark blue & black. Not a single bright, visible item. This is not "defensive driving". 

My first thought also.

Im glad the gent was unhurt, and went on to catch a nice fish. The yaks stability got my attention, for a slight collision or near miss at 20mph, there was almost no wake and the yak hardly moved.

I watched this video a few days ago and to be honest, I’m not really sure how I feel about it. The odds of all three people on board just completely not paying attention is hard to believe, and I’m sure they didn’t hit the guy intentionally. I think kayakers overestimate how visible they are to boaters. If you’re going to be around boats, go to every length possible to make yourself highly visible. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Seadogg said:

I watched this video a few days ago and to be honest, I’m not really sure how I feel about it. The odds of all three people on board just completely not paying attention is hard to believe, and I’m sure they didn’t hit the guy intentionally. I think kayakers overestimate how visible they are to boaters. If you’re going to be around boats, go to every length possible to make yourself highly visible. 

How about after the boat hit the kayak and didn't stop , how do you feel about that????

Edited by FizzyFish
spelling

1 min ago, FizzyFish said:

How about after the boat kit the kayak and didn't stop , how do you feel about that????

I don’t even want to dignify that with a response. My post was referring solely to the collision and it’s potential cause. 

really, not stopping after a collision is not part of the issue, what is the issue then?  The kayak did not have a flag so the boat operator is justified in not stopping to check if there were any injuries???