smath

Substitute for Angel Hair

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Smath:  Aside from penne or rigatoni, why would you need a substitute?  There are many types of similar materials from which you can choose.  Is price point an issue? Many of the suppliers of fly typing materials can be of help.  I am reticent to suggest specific ones since that might cross Tim's rule.

16 hours ago, smath said:

Are there any good substitutes for Angel Hair that you recommend?

Sorry that you were disappointed in the above response but, in answer to your question, I still have a good stock of Angel Hair and, while, sometimes, it can be unmanageable while tying, I really feel it makes a good tie for albie flies. They love Angel Hair flash, I've found.

If flyrodder44 can even "suggest" to you what alternate flash he finds successful, perhaps he can recommend one to you. 

Good luck.

3 hours ago, flyrodder44 said:

Smath:  Aside from penne or rigatoni, why would you need a substitute?  There are many types of similar materials from which you can choose.  Is price point an issue? Many of the suppliers of fly typing materials can be of help.  I am reticent to suggest specific ones since that might cross Tim's rule.

Point taken flyrodder. I am looking for larger packages and better price. I waste so much of the material in handling that I'd like to find a cheaper alternative. I've seen recommendations for substitutes for various materials on this and the fly fishing forum -- I didn't think these discussions violated the rules of this forum. If they do, I fully understand. These forums are a fantastic resource and I fully support the conditions Tim has established.

Do you use “Saltwater Angel Hair?” I’m a huge fan of the stuff and it is more manageable than the regular stuff, in my opinion. I just throw it into a ziploc and pull out what I need as I need it without really much waste. 

I usually pay less than three bucks for a hank and I’ve found that to be pretty cheap for flash...maybe try some Flashabou, one of their smaller and limper models. 

Some other alternatives might be:  F-Wing and Flash; F-Polar Flash; F-Krystal Flash, among others as Ftyer and Stonefish have suggested. However, being as picky as we are at times as to how we want our flies to look/function, it may be you have to stay with Angel Hair.  Ftyer's suggestion re: Saltwater version is a good one but both types of Angel Hair are not expensive and the fact that they do not absorb water may be a feature that you require.  As I looked over all the other options, Angel Hair wasn't much different in price point as the alternatives.  Your question about buying larger quantities:  I wasn't able to find a vendor that sold the stuff in such quantities that would satisfy your need.  I guess, for the time being, we all have to buy numbers of smaller packages unless someone comes across such a vendor.

Sorry if my attempt at humor wasn't helpful to some.  Hope this is better.   :rav:

It might be wortk a shot emailing the mad scientist at the fly tyers dungeon.  He has a dozen or so products under "flash & tinsel".   Much of his (alternative) stuff is cheaper than dirt and not all that bad to tie with.