Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
onthefly

let's see your diy tins,spoons, epoxy jigs

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

this is my first spoon/tin. my friend gave my some hard wood. I think maple but could be walnut very hard stuff. I used a Dremel and then sand paper to hollow out a shape, then took some tin solder added about 10% lead. I made a through wire from .045 stainless wire. I have yet to polish it up but the action is incredible swims erratic but eventually does hunt to find center. the home poured 6 inch slugo swims in a s movement can't wait to get these to some fish. Curious in knowing how to polish them any suggestion would help. the weight came in at about 1 1/2 oz and 4 inches for the spoon

IMG_20190911_214232.jpg

Edited by onthefly

Looks awesome! I have not polished tin before but would probably start on a buffing wheel with white polishing compound. Should shine it up to mirror finish. If you do not have a buffer, there are buffing attachments for your dremmel. I think there is a kit that comes with the polishing compound as well. Either way, make sure you remove the hook before trying.

21 hours ago, onthefly said:

this is my first spoon/tin. my friend gave my some hard wood. I think maple but could be walnut very hard stuff. I used a Dremel and then sand paper to hollow out a shape, then took some tin solder added about 10% lead. I made a through wire from .045 stainless wire. I have yet to polish it up but the action is incredible swims erratic but eventually does hunt to find center. the home poured 6 inch slugo swims in a s movement can't wait to get these to some fish. Curious in knowing how to polish them any suggestion would help. the weight came in at about 1 1/2 oz and 4 inches for the spoon

IMG_20190911_214232.jpg

Ooooh! Nice.

Has anyone tried one on RTV silicon mold yet?

I've made one for plug lead weights and love the smooth surface of finished lead.

Tempted to try making some tins....

I'm going to hit up some flea markets, garage sales and thrift stores this weekend look for spools of lead free solder and pewter plates from the research I've done. also looking for cast iron pot to melt it in   

I hit some thrift stores and picked up 2 lb of tin/pewter for 10 bucks. be careful of the fake stuff should say pewter stamped on bottom. some fake stuff is made by wilton out of Columbia pa and crown pewter covered aluminum. reel tin is so soft you can easily bend and fold it with one hand. One of the gravy bowls had no stamp but it bent so easy and looked old. melted right around 450 degree proved it was tin. if you run imto a plate or candle stick melt it separate and see so you don't contaminate your known batch. I made a total of 5 so far and look good enough.. I did have some slag I didn't remove or the wood mold caused some pitting I took my solder and iron and filled them in sand back down. you could not tell a small hole was there. going to make some new shapes now that I have process down. I had never done and metal work before. Think things out and take your time proved very easy to do.

Edited by onthefly