rdiezel

Spooling your own reels

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! 

How do most of you spoil your reels? My main focus is on conventional gear, does anyone use any store bought rigs to be able to spoil the line on tight as well a being able to lay it on evenly, or do some create their own setup? 

My main reason for asking this is that I usually go to a tackle shop and ask to get spooled with the line I provide and most of the time I see that who ever is doing it doesn’t tighten down the drag and sometimes looks uneven when they start, I use my reels for casting and I find that most of the backlash comes from the way they were spooled, but I was always able to fix it and keep on fishing fairly quickly so I didn’t pay too much attention to it. 

Pic of your setup are greatly appreciated, thank you!

Posted (edited) · Report post

23 mins ago, rdiezel said:

Hello everyone! 

How do most of you spoil your reels? My main focus is on conventional gear, does anyone use any store bought rigs to be able to spoil the line on tight as well a being able to lay it on evenly, or do some create their own setup? 

My main reason for asking this is that I usually go to a tackle shop and ask to get spooled with the line I provide and most of the time I see that who ever is doing it doesn’t tighten down the drag and sometimes looks uneven when they start, I use my reels for casting and I find that most of the backlash comes from the way they were spooled, but I was always able to fix it and keep on fishing fairly quickly so I didn’t pay too much attention to it. 

Pic of your setup are greatly appreciated, thank you!

Good question. I would like to hear some feedback as well as I get my stuff spooled at Cabelas and it’s hit or miss. 

Edited by coastalfreak

Even though it’s spin gear i spooled mine on the stradic and the bg i got spooled at work. (Bps)

they took my spool off and spooled it with an electric spooler guiding the line by hand 

651D11BA-39DC-43E4-9D95-DB4FE870460B.jpeg

492F258B-DBDD-4BC1-AD7D-68327BCC9BA7.jpeg

Edited by kombi_rs

Spool on floor.

Tie to reel. I usually put a small piece of duct tape on the spool if it is smooth. 

Run line thru the first few guides. Between the last guide and the spool put the line into a magazine.

Put a heavy book or two on top of the magazine.

Fill spool with even reeling. 

When you get to the lake or shore, put a medium weight on and make a few easy casts then a few long casts. Reel up with tension on the line. 

Even better, run the line with weight behind a boat and reel up under tension. 

No special equipment. 

Edited by hookmeup

26 mins ago, kombi_rs said:

Even though it’s spin gear i spooled mine on the stradic and the bg i got spooled at work. (Bps)

they took my spool off and spooled it with an electric spooler guiding the line by hand 

651D11BA-39DC-43E4-9D95-DB4FE870460B.jpeg

492F258B-DBDD-4BC1-AD7D-68327BCC9BA7.jpeg

Yea they do it right, but it’s kind of a drive to go up there then back down to wherever I’m planning to fish.

26 mins ago, hookmeup said:

Spool on floor.

Tie to reel. I usually put a small piece of duct tape on the spool if it is smooth. 

Run line thru the first few guides. Between the last guide and the spool put the line into a magazine.

Put a heavy book or two on top of the magazine.

Fill spool with even reeling. 

When you get to the lake or shore, put a medium weight on and make a few easy casts then a few long casts. Reel up with tension on the line. 

Even better, run the line with weight behind a boat and reel up under tension. 

No special equipment. 

Sounds good but I can’t cast that far, I’m talking about spooling about 300 or so yards of braid. Probably should’ve mentioned that.

4 mins ago, rdiezel said:

Yea they do it right, but it’s kind of a drive to go up there then back down to wherever I’m planning to fish.

I work at the one in hanover btw :)

1 min ago, Kima said:

Bench vise, damp rag.  Start reeling.

I like that, how would you keep the spool of line from coming out? Or will the rag suffice?

3 mins ago, rdiezel said:

I like that, how would you keep the spool of line from coming out? Or will the rag suffice?

The spool is off to the side, I run the line through the vise and rag.