scoobydoo

Second Tsunami Salt X failure (well sorta)

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Quick explanation of the well sorta... 

A shop received a return in which the customer said water got inside.  The shop asked if I wanted to take a look.  I never was able too. Which sucked but the gent at the shop said it was like new and didn't think it failed.   

Now the vids below show an issue.  

He's a bit anal about the sand which wasn't an issue in and around the body. And the "deterioration" around the rotor. (along with the white rotor brake ring).

However there is an issue at the ar clutch.  As it definitely took on some saltwater as evident by the tan colored grease and the appearance of rust. 

I assume Tsunami will get this gent up and running.  But it definitely counts in my book as a failure.  These are also the first issues I've heard with the reel.

Edited by scoobydoo

I really wanted to get this reel. However, I bought 4 tsunami Guards and one Shield recently. Every single one of them had issues out of the box. Their customer care is decent but I don't think these reels are worth the headache, not with my experience with the brand anyway. Sorry my first post is negative. However, I am glad I held off on ordering one.

1 hour ago, SilverSpoonSurfer said:

I really wanted to get this reel. However, I bought 4 tsunami Guards and one Shield recently. Every single one of them had issues out of the box. Their customer care is decent but I don't think these reels are worth the headache, not with my experience with the brand anyway. Sorry my first post is negative. However, I am glad I held off on ordering one.

Tsunami's shield has proven a winner.  They sell truckloads of those things.  And with that sorta volume comes some duds.  I know lots of guys who are using them trouble free.   And for 100$.  It's unique 

And those two reels have zero relation to the Salt x which is a ground up design vs an oem rebadged product.

8 hours ago, bobber said:

so--o-o   its not a better mousetrap.......?

With all new launches it's  a time will tell sorta thing.  I've heard nothing but good feedback until this vid was brought to my attention and the returned reel.  One of the nice things about the whole youtube thing... I get to hear  tons of feedback.  I bet in some cases I get more feedback than the manufacturers. 

I was unlucky and got multiple duds. All of the reels had some really nasty sticky grease that was almost like glue. However, I only tried one Shield and it came with a frame/body issue. I also saw a video on youtube, I think the guy is on here, WJC or something. He used a Salt X for 100 hours or so and it start making a high pitch squeaking noise too. I wonder i it is the same thing.

So all well and good but how does this stack up to a reel almost half it's price and with more drag....Quantum Cabo Ptse ....and I'm not jokein' either....

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

3 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Tsunami's shield has proven a winner.  They sell truckloads of those things.  And with that sorta volume comes some duds.  I know lots of guys who are using them trouble free.   And for 100$.  It's unique 

And those two reels have zero relation to the Salt x which is a ground up design vs an oem rebadged product.

With all new launches it's  a time will tell sorta thing.  I've heard nothing but good feedback until this vid was brought to my attention and the returned reel.  One of the nice things about the whole youtube thing... I get to hear  tons of feedback.  I bet in some cases I get more feedback than the manufacturers. 

All it takes is 1 or 2 reels to have issues and the "It's a dud" train starts rolling. I challenge anyone to find a reel that didn't have some that failed. VS, ZB, Stella on and on we can go - all had some that failed. But we accept that those issues were outliers and not the norm. Like Scooby said the number of users who have reported nothing but positives about this reel are in much greater number than those with issues.

Time will tell. 

I am not sure what he mean by pressured water cleaning. I suspect that this might cause the premature failure and inevitably forced some sand into places deep inside his reel. "Inferior metal finish". Sand are tiny jagged little rocks. Very abrasive,  rock vs metal, rock wins every time.  No damage on the vs? ha! he should see the rash under every vs rotor and the bottom spool lip.  My new VSX failed within 3 months fishing sandy beaches. food for thought.

1 min ago, hobobob said:

I am not sure what he mean by pressured water cleaning. I suspect that this might cause the premature failure and inevitably forced some sand into places deep inside his reel. "Inferior metal finish". Sand are tiny jagged little rocks. Very abrasive,  rock vs metal, rock wins every time.  No damage on the vs? ha! he should see the rash under every vs rotor and the bottom spool lip.  My new VSX failed within 3 months fishing sandy beaches. food for thought.

Yeah...there was some interesting commentary.  I don't think he induced an issue.  His focus appears to have been around the rotor brake ring which you can throw darts at and won't hurt anything.

And yeah...the rotor scratches are like seasoning cast iron :)

6 hours ago, SilverSpoonSurfer said:

Right, no rush here.....don't want to be the first one either, let them work out the kinks first....then I'll be lookin'.

4 hours ago, hobobob said:

I've had my VSX for 2, almost 3 months now? It's been useable for 3 weeks, and that's 3 weeks of two days fishing a week.. Just finally got it working how it should... give it a month, I'm sure. Meanwhile the salt x I have has been absolutely awesome since I got it the same time as the vsx. Will be buying a 4000 version when they drop, 100%.

My VSs body split in half. Imagine that. Craig said there was no chance of that. Shoulda seen his face when i showed him in person haha. All the rods and reels suck and break. Good excuse to buy more more more

I’m definitely in for a 4000, black, when they arrive!  

I have Tsunami, Penn and Shimano...everybody gets a dud once in while.  I have had zero issue with all makes...but I try and take care of reels.

Looking forward to the 4000!

Edited by Terphunter