Tailslap

2020 Daiwa Saltiga?

Rate this topic

86 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, StripedBasstardz said:

If I'm gonna drop $1k on a reel it better look esthetically pleasant as much as it performs.

Agreed!  Personally I am not a fan of any bold colors especially gold on my reels.  That and red are hideous.  I own a few Stellas and think it’s kinda ugly but it’s supreme at the Canal.

In regards to the Torque, the Torque 1 was “sealed” to VS/ZB standard in my own experiences. But not very refined aesthetically, the Torque 2 is only slightly sealed better than a Slammer 3. I fished my Torque 2 like a VS and had major water intrusion in the gearbox, however thanks to quality components and a anodized aluminum body not much needed to be replaced besides some seals and a bearing. People don’t seem to realize the 2nd gen torque went more to a offshore/inshore performance reel with decent sealing vs a true surf reel. Imo the specs, ease of service, availability of parts, etc makes these one of the most underrated spinners...they just aren’t reel underwater or rinse in the wash multiple times proof. For example even the smallest 5500 has a proper backup anti-reverse as seen on the larger Saltigas. The main gear material is “marine grade bronze”, the pinion is SS and even the oscillation gear is an unneeded  bronze. That gear set easily rivals any Saltiga or Stella, with the Japanese reels winning in size however. I also like the T2s gear ratios, instead of super slow or super fast they offer a happy medium. Now don’t get me wrong I’m not saying this is better than my Saltiga, just shedding some light on some things that are often overlooked on the Torque 2 a lot of which is due to Penns horrible marketing of it. No it’s no longer sealed to VS standards, but it’s cnc cut aluminum body with an anodized coating(no doubt stronger than a cast body), top tier gear train with a no nonsense backup anti-reverse, huge duradrag, easy self service via side plate, decent sealing, and made in US status makes a extremely formidable spinner. 

On 1/11/2020 at 7:25 PM, BrianBM said:

Neither do I ... good for you.

Tarpon are a good test for any tackle, rod, reel, whatever you like.

Apropos of the Torque spinning reel, I haven't found a worthwhile review of the second generation yet. For the surf set, VS and ZB seem to have totally pre-empted the attention span of the skishing set (real and imagined) and the Stella and Saltiga own the CCC set. I suspect it has more to do with fashion than the reels themselves.

I note that Alan Hawk is absolutely delighted by the Saltiga 2020. If tarpon, billfish, or tuna should suddenly become available to surf anglers on Long Island, I will certainly rush to buy a Saltiga 2020.

You think people use Saltiga's and Stella's at the canal to look good?

On 1/11/2020 at 7:25 PM, BrianBM said:

Neither do I ... good for you.

Tarpon are a good test for any tackle, rod, reel, whatever you like.

Apropos of the Torque spinning reel, I haven't found a worthwhile review of the second generation yet. For the surf set, VS and ZB seem to have totally pre-empted the attention span of the skishing set (real and imagined) and the Stella and Saltiga own the CCC set. I suspect it has more to do with fashion than the reels themselves.themselves.

I don't mind if they're pretty either. The torques replacement will be here Tuesday/Wednesday, and it's not a gen 2. I knew the saltiga was coming, but Daiwa's gotten enough of my money this year and I have to spread the love. Honestly, any of the top shelf reels would work exceptionally well for what I do. The penn never fell short, I'm sure the stella won't either.

20 hours ago, Draekon said:

Maybe someone like Dennysnook is a professional fisherman and his opinion is like god here. There is no money in a market that small for that type of fisherman.  For high end reels, you need to make it look "sexy" to someone willing to dish out that much whether or not he / she actually fishes a reel like Dennysnook would.

There is no market. With the exception of a few hardcore fishing friends that fish high end gear and are willing to destroy it, the aesthetics are a big selling point to the rest. As a commercial fishermen, performance is my only selling point. When your putting 50 plus hours a week on reels at times throughout the year, it easily exposes flaws though and both the Stella and Saltiga suffer from that. First day I got my Saltigas and put it in the rod holder the paint was easily scratched, and I knew it was going to be a problem. All those stylish curves and recesses are also holding points for salt buildup also. Regardless of what you do if you take spray at first light and wash at the end of the day, that saltwater has dried up and left hard deposits on your reel and must be meticulously cleaned to keep aesthetically pleasing. Leave it on the rod and wash/wipe it and your foot will be damaged by weeks end. Once the paint starts bubbling it spreads like cancer because it allows more salt in. My only argument is that with all the sealing advancements in reels as of late, the pretty paint finishes haven't kept up to protect the outside of the reel as well as the internals. My anodized reels don't have that problem

An Australian tackle shop has put out a brief video (can be seen on YouTube) showing the new Saltiga with its spool off. It looks good. Looks like Daiwa's done a lot to make the reel resistant to sea water. The paint looks to be tougher too - as far as can be judged from video & photos. 

If i get one, I think I'll be changing the handle knob though. 

9 hours ago, canalrat said:

Stella copy Dogfight and now Saltiga copy Stella. 

Disagree.  Both companies produce great reels that could not be more different.  This is like saying BMW copies Mercedes cause they both make blue cars....

6 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

Disagree.  Both companies produce great reels that could not be more different.  This is like saying BMW copies Mercedes cause they both make blue cars....

I'm pretty sure this is just referring to visuals...There's no way to know how each of these reels performs until they hit the market. Thus we only have looks to discuss at this point...,just visually speaking, both Stellas and Saltigas had their own distinguishing looks...Now, not so much.

1 min ago, albacized said:

I'm pretty sure this is just referring to visuals...There's no way to know how each of these reels performs until they hit the market. Thus we only have looks to discuss at this point...,just visually speaking, both Stellas and Saltigas had their own distinguishing looks...Now, not so much.

Again I respectfully disagree.  The Monocoque body looks totally different than the Stella body.  They could not look more different