Tailslap

2020 Daiwa Saltiga?

Rate this topic

86 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, canalrat said:

Just a toy, it going be my collection. Can't wait. :)

I have first one and  second one model and give up .But  this one .........................:banghd:

On 1/9/2020 at 11:29 PM, dennysnook said:

Because most of the people buying them are not solely concerned with performance. Betcha half the reels in use are status symbols. I'd personally like to see an anodized finish and no paint to chip or mess up, but that ain't gunna happen. 

Amen to that.

On 1/9/2020 at 11:32 PM, Draekon said:

For $1k, I care if it is ugly or not.  I have plenty of reels that just catch fish. I do use the ones that have good memories using besides some tech or smoothness.  If I ever wanted to get an exotic car like a Ferrari, I would care about the color or look. I don't use FB or instagram to show off with pics using a Stella for shore crabbing either. Don't have a Stella anyways.

You don't? You haven't learned that a chicken leg retrieved on a reel with 15 ball bearings and a drag to 60 lbs. always catches the biggest crabs?

:laugh:

One thing that consistently amazes, over the years here, is that most comment on a given reel is always about how it looks. Scoobydoo will tell you how reel X differs from reel Y.  Alan Hawk will comment on the machining. But what the gang really likes to dissect is how it looks. Pretty colors?

The Penn Torque spinners took a terrible beating over that. They appear to be well made, they're certainly the cheapest of the superspinners, they're made here in the USA and so what? They get beaten like a rented mule. With the possible exception of @Dennysnook, I don't recall anyone posting a review after intensive use. (Alan Hawk liked the first generation, I don't know if he still likes the current production.)  Ksong and Dennysnook are the only people who have put heavy miles on the IRT spinners, but their distribution is limited right now. If they become widely available, the talk will be attractive or ugly?

I must go use Search and see what reviews we have here on the Torque. I am NOT buying a superspinner, but my curiousity is endless.

22 mins ago, BrianBM said:

One thing that consistently amazes, over the years here, is that most comment on a given reel is always about how it looks. Scoobydoo will tell you how reel X differs from reel Y.  Alan Hawk will comment on the machining. But what the gang really likes to dissect is how it looks. Pretty colors?

The Penn Torque spinners took a terrible beating over that. They appear to be well made, they're certainly the cheapest of the superspinners, they're made here in the USA and so what? They get beaten like a rented mule. With the possible exception of @Dennysnook, I don't recall anyone posting a review after intensive use. (Alan Hawk liked the first generation, I don't know if he still likes the current production.)  Ksong and Dennysnook are the only people who have put heavy miles on the IRT spinners, but their distribution is limited right now. If they become widely available, the talk will be attractive or ugly?

I must go use Search and see what reviews we have here on the Torque. I am NOT buying a superspinner, but my curiousity is endless.

Looks are not the most important thing but I gotta look at it all day, it might as well be aesthetically pleasing. Especially if I'm plunking down a ton o dough on it. How hard is it to make it look good anyway? As far as the Torque goes, it looks like a hard edged metal reel that will end up hurting my hands in short order. 

If there are other choices of similar quality reels at similar costs, the ugly reel will not make the grade with me...otherwise, I would overlook a less than pleasing appearance if the reel otherwise lived up to the hype a great reel would likely generate...and there was no real competition.

And just to quantify, this is my general opinion regarding direction of the conversation in the past several posts and does not represent what I think in terms of the visual appears of the new Saltiga. 

4 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I got 6 seasons of surf tarpon out of my torque 5. I do the majority of my fishing with a 10wt, but that torque still had a lot of hours & fish on it. It's still the ugliest reel I've ever owned, but I don't put much thought into appearances. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 mins ago, Local66 said:

I got 6 seasons of surf tarpon out of my torque 5. I do the majority of my fishing with a 10wt, but that torque still had a lot of hours & fish on it. It's still the ugliest reel I've ever owned, but I don't put much thought into appearances. 

Neither do I ... good for you.

Tarpon are a good test for any tackle, rod, reel, whatever you like.

Apropos of the Torque spinning reel, I haven't found a worthwhile review of the second generation yet. For the surf set, VS and ZB seem to have totally pre-empted the attention span of the skishing set (real and imagined) and the Stella and Saltiga own the CCC set. I suspect it has more to do with fashion than the reels themselves.

I note that Alan Hawk is absolutely delighted by the Saltiga 2020. If tarpon, billfish, or tuna should suddenly become available to surf anglers on Long Island, I will certainly rush to buy a Saltiga 2020.

Edited by BrianBM

Regarding looks, and making a connection with Penn, I'd say both the Stella & Saltiga nod to the original strong spinning reel, the Penn Spinfisher. They have the gold spool, gold details and dark background colour. The Spinfisher, made in USA, has got to have influenced the development of the Japanese heavy spin reels. 

I'm not into Van Staals or ZB myself but the Torque doesn't look appealing to me.  It is pure psychological but that is marketing.  Humans are weird.  Some of it will never make any sense to another just like taste in women. I'd prefer a Stella or Saltiga and feel it is more "sexier" than a VS or ZB.  I tried to give an exotic car example but the iPhone is a better example of how looks or design will outsell another smartphone with a better camera, better cpu, folding display, bigger display etc..

I looked at the Torque just now and my impressions are that it looks too skinny and does not perceive to be tanky like the VS.  I absolutely hate that handle knob which doesn't look comfortable either. The 5500 is 19oz and the VR50 is 8 oz. I can see why it isn't selling well.

Maybe someone like Dennysnook is a professional fisherman and his opinion is like god here. There is no money in a market that small for that type of fisherman.  For high end reels, you need to make it look "sexy" to someone willing to dish out that much whether or not he / she actually fishes a reel like Dennysnook would.