Tailslap

2020 Daiwa Saltiga?

Rate this topic

86 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

No....4k bg size no longer exists in saltiga land.

22 ounces and up unfortunately.

So buy a certate hd 4000 (they sold for a bit at 280$) or buy the saltiga bay jigger which is 800 and essentially the same as the certate hd with a bronze vs alu gear...

smh...

Very strange..

Or wait and see what Saragossa we get this year. (I think that's what Im gonna do.)

So no more 3500 and 4000 Saltiga. That’s a bummer. Guess they want us to buy a Certate LT instead. OK but those 3500 4000 sized Saltiga’s matched perfectly with 8-9ft surf rods IMO. Do you know if the 5000-6000 size Stella SWs are toast also? 

^ there is the BJ reel, as Scooby said, which is a kind of Saltiga. And the Certate HD is still around for now, but I wonder if it's going soon. 

As far as looks, I think they should have done some carving or engraving to add more to the spool itself without holes or ports. At least engrave the saltiga lettering.  I think the Stella is a tad better looking like Daiwa wanted to copy the Shimano scheme.   I like it better than the Exist looks with the dark gray and plain spool. Thinking about it, if they made less gold on the drag cap / spool top and removed a gold line from the reel handle base, it would be better imo.

1 hour ago, Pierce said:

Y always the looks? Reel meant for fishing, not looks (unless u buy n keep them on shelve) lol.......

Because most of the people buying them are not solely concerned with performance. Betcha half the reels in use are status symbols. I'd personally like to see an anodized finish and no paint to chip or mess up, but that ain't gunna happen. 

For $1k, I care if it is ugly or not.  I have plenty of reels that just catch fish. I do use the ones that have good memories using besides some tech or smoothness.  If I ever wanted to get an exotic car like a Ferrari, I would care about the color or look. I don't use FB or instagram to show off with pics using a Stella for shore crabbing either. Don't have a Stella anyways.

14 mins ago, dennysnook said:

Because most of the people buying them are not solely concerned with performance. Betcha half the reels in use are status symbols. I'd personally like to see an anodized finish and no paint to chip or mess up, but that ain't gunna happen. 

I don't think reels show any status or symbols, is the throphy fish that caught show that.

52 mins ago, dennysnook said:

What boggles my mind.....

The amount of people who never fished before....

That want to get their toes wet with the best.

ALLLL the time....I see the purchases made so I know they ain't blowin smoke....

I won't stop em.....but I suggest to ease into the high end since there's nowhere to go but down......and if you start with the best you'll likely not appreciate it....

And wouldn't ya know it.....about a month ago...a dude bought 4 antares dc's, 3 Steez sv tws  A scorpion MGl and Tatula SV pre order...lolol  He said He'll fish the Scorpion and Tatula first .....lmao

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

ALLLL the time....I see the purchases made so I know they ain't blowin smoke....

I won't stop em.....but I suggest to ease into the high end since there's nowhere to go but down......and if you start with the best you'll likely not appreciate it....

And wouldn't ya know it.....about a month ago...a dude bought 4 antares dc's, 3 Steez sv tws  A scorpion MGl and Tatula SV pre order...lolol  He said He'll fish the Scorpion and Tatula first .....lmao

Not just that. You need to learn your way into using those tools, with cheaper stuff, as with all things.

So that mistakes dont cost as much.

* (9 January 2019) Must've received the same question a hundred times since I posted the January 8th news, so let me answer it here to reduce email volume; the spools of the 2020 Saltiga are NOT interchangeable with any previous generation, and no tweaks can make this happen; the spool hub is a completely new design for better sealing and easy shimming, and the clicker has been moved to the top of the spool for different acoustics. Also, what you see now is not the whole line-up. More size/speed combinations are planned for the future.

6 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Seems to me that is where the internet resources and dependency on it have come more and more into play. Your name gets thrown around all the time now, so congrats on the channel blowing up. The information is out there, and everyone knows everything without knowing anything lol. I get it all the time with new guys asking me questions, and they know what they need but don't even fish enough or have the fishing ability to warrant the advantages of high end reels. Always try to steer them in the right direction but it can be a hard sell talking to know it alls who learn on paper not through experience. Used my BGs and testers more than anything this year, and had several newbies telling me that I needed this reel or that reel lol. One guy aggravated me so bad when using my tester I asked him what I should be using. "Thanks bud but I already have 4 of those, I'm catching fish every cast, and you still haven't caught a fish yet" and walked away