Tailslap

2020 Daiwa Saltiga?

Rate this topic

86 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Tagman said:

Alan Hawk is a great reference, and a damn nice guy too. He answers all his emails. Ultimately, I make the buying decisions and no review is going to make or break my purchase. Anyway, I do agree with his concerns about the mag fluid. Can’t say i’m a fan, but I still own a few mag sealed reels

I have 2 Saltiga spinners. 1 is an older Z series, and 1 is a current mag sealed. Both reels are great performers. I have been fishing my current model since last fall. So far no problems. It’s been dunked, splashed with sandy water and still no problem with the mag fluid. I have no plans on servicing it either, at least until next year. I want see how it sits over the winter. Honestly, dont feel like sending it in to Daiwa.  The older Zseries is a beast and can easily be opened and serviced

Looking forward to the next gen. Saltiga. Maybe they will go back to rubber seals

I have 2, the older Z and the most recent model. I like them both a lot. They've been dunked, fished submerged, etc without issues regarding that. I did have a problem that required service and replacement of the main gear. That reel saw bass to 49.5" and imho shouldn't have needed that repair but it is what it is. The reel was fished submerged and had no evidence of water intrusion per Daiwa.

AH, i've lost a little faith in his reviews, based mainly on some penn reviews and his disregarding of the Saltigas more current model. imho, there's more to the story but we all know what they say about opinions...

In the end I've been fishing a long time and like Tagman says, a review (online) good or bad isn't going to factor too much into any buying decision. i know what a i want and have a good idea what works.

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

I have 2, the older Z and the most recent model. I like them both a lot. They've been dunked, fished submerged, etc without issues regarding that. I did have a problem that required service and replacement of the main gear. That reel saw bass to 49.5" and imho shouldn't have needed that repair but it is what it is. The reel was fished submerged and had no evidence of water intrusion per Daiwa.

AH, i've lost a little faith in his reviews, based mainly on some penn reviews and his disregarding of the Saltigas more current model. imho, there's more to the story but we all know what they say about opinions...

In the end I've been fishing a long time and like Tagman says, a review (online) good or bad isn't going to factor too much into any buying decision. i know what a i want and have a good idea what works.

Have you tried their new Certates LT and/or the older Certate HD?  

19 mins ago, TLap21 said:

Yes, it's available on both eBay and Amazon.

That's the rub.  You can purchase ferrofluid.... You can't by Daiwa mag seal.... Mag seal does nothing but keep a fluid suspended between gaps so the mystery fluids will work... How long they last in their viscosity when new is a ymmv type thing. 

Reels that use it at the clutch simple... Ball bearings... You don't want to be using stuff that's Goin to gunk up.... As the repetitive cleaning will be liver damaging as they're 1beer jobs per bearing 

On 12/10/2019 at 10:02 AM, Rafalsky said:

Stumble upon such pictures on Instagram. Not much visible only that is big, have the new Daiwa monocoque body and new oval power grip.

Screenshot_20191210-155825-01.jpeg

Screenshot_20191210-155835-01.jpeg

Where on instagram did you find this?

I’m waiting patiently as well. I want to try the newest Saltiga spinner for popping and vertical jigging as long as they are still made in Japan. I skipped their Saltiga 35NL SJ and got OJs instead just because of where it’s manufactured. OJ is Japanese while Saltiga is Korea.

I'm assuming the new Saltiga 10k size is according to their new LT size standards.  There is finally something bigger than a Ballistic 6k. So the Saltiga 8k is like a BG 4k?

17 mins ago, Draekon said:

I'm assuming the new Saltiga 10k size is according to their new LT size standards.  There is finally something bigger than a Ballistic 6k. So the Saltiga 8k is like a BG 4k?

No....4k bg size no longer exists in saltiga land.

22 ounces and up unfortunately.

So buy a certate hd 4000 (they sold for a bit at 280$) or buy the saltiga bay jigger which is 800 and essentially the same as the certate hd with a bronze vs alu gear...

smh...

Very strange..

Or wait and see what Saragossa we get this year. (I think that's what Im gonna do.)

^ it's now the same or very similar to Shimano sizing. I think an 8000 (2020 size 8000) = 4500 (in the traditional Daiwa sizing). 

* (8 January 2019) Followup to the December 28th teaser below - Remember this announcement from June? CLICK . Well, the 2020 Saltiga is here, and will appear in Yokohama show this month then in ICAST in July. This time I have existing familiarity with the reel, so I can tell you it's revolutionary instead of evolutionary. New unprecedented concepts in sealing, materials, gearing power, drag, and corrosion resistance. Most significantly, the reel was extensively tested by people who actually have knowledge and can point issues and improvements. Numbers and basic information are being released, and as usual expect a review after thorough testing in real life, then finally the "What Reel 2020"  will be posted. Now you know why I postponed it time after time.