Tailslap

2020 Daiwa Saltiga?

Rate this topic

86 posts in this topic

Unlikely but who knows, they did bring the isla (us catalina) but shortly after they brought it over Daiwa released a new saltiga at a lower price point which killed the market for the isla which they retailed for 700? When the new saltiga was for 800 and not only that, most ppl probably still opted to get a jdm catalina over what daiwa wanted for a isla here. Hence they quickly discontinued it. I would like for them the introduce the catalina/isla again but at a price point that's closer inline to what the catalina cost. 

I think Hawk mentioned he'd seen the new one - he didn't name it, but called it Daiwa's new big mama (or something like that). Said it was very beautiful (wood inducing, i think he said). He said it was some way off from being released.

On 9/11/2019 at 6:58 PM, BrianBM said:

I'm interested in that myself.  Alas, Alan H. hasn't reviewed anything more recent than 2010.  Must see if Scoobydoo has opined on Saltiga spinners.  

he's butthurt over Daiwa not selling mag seal fluid so he doesn't review them anymore.

6 hours ago, Rafalsky said:

Stumble upon such pictures on Instagram. Not much visible only that is big, have the new Daiwa monocoque body and new oval power grip.

Screenshot_20191210-155825-01.jpeg

Screenshot_20191210-155835-01.jpeg

Interesting to see a non arched rotor and a knob off a chinesium reel.  Who's ig was this from? 

I think Alan Hawk's comments was more so due to the lack of customer service support for international customers...it's less of an issue in the states. While it's true they don't sell the mag oil to anyone, here in the states, we have the option of sending the reel into a service center for a relatively acceptable cost..there are some places (with a Daiwa market) where this is not an option...so their only choice is to spend big bucks just to send it to a service center...Alan goes out of his way to admit that the quality of these reels are not the issue - they're still top level reels.

Alan Hawk is a great reference, and a damn nice guy too. He answers all his emails. Ultimately, I make the buying decisions and no review is going to make or break my purchase. Anyway, I do agree with his concerns about the mag fluid. Can’t say i’m a fan, but I still own a few mag sealed reels

I have 2 Saltiga spinners. 1 is an older Z series, and 1 is a current mag sealed. Both reels are great performers. I have been fishing my current model since last fall. So far no problems. It’s been dunked, splashed with sandy water and still no problem with the mag fluid. I have no plans on servicing it either, at least until next year. I want see how it sits over the winter. Honestly, dont feel like sending it in to Daiwa.  The older Zseries is a beast and can easily be opened and serviced

Looking forward to the next gen. Saltiga. Maybe they will go back to rubber seals

I hope it’s not a Saltiga, after owning the older Certate HD, and the new LT I will say after some use that bottom bumper with the seal on the monocoque body is useless without some decent grease. While magseal is still up in the air for me, Saltigas with their full perimeter body seal is much more effective. Heck the old Z series I would rinse in the wash sometimes. Obviously I don’t do that on magsealed reels, but they still take splashes better than my Certates imo. I feel magseal has a place in high end reels (like the Saltiga or Exist/Certates) where the price and usage justifies the service, however I find putting it in budget reels like the Fuego for instance kind of stupid. For a budget reel once that mag fluid becomes contaminated or dries out, is it really worth the price and time to send it in for magseal? After two services you could probably buy a new reel....just don’t see the point of it in budget reels especially since your probably more prone to mistreat a cheaper reel. It would be different if you could buy it obviously. 

7 hours ago, jk20a3 said:

I hope it’s not a Saltiga, after owning the older Certate HD, and the new LT I will say after some use that bottom bumper with the seal on the monocoque body is useless without some decent grease. While magseal is still up in the air for me, Saltigas with their full perimeter body seal is much more effective. Heck the old Z series I would rinse in the wash sometimes. Obviously I don’t do that on magsealed reels, but they still take splashes better than my Certates imo. I feel magseal has a place in high end reels (like the Saltiga or Exist/Certates) where the price and usage justifies the service, however I find putting it in budget reels like the Fuego for instance kind of stupid. For a budget reel once that mag fluid becomes contaminated or dries out, is it really worth the price and time to send it in for magseal? After two services you could probably buy a new reel....just don’t see the point of it in budget reels especially since your probably more prone to mistreat a cheaper reel. It would be different if you could buy it obviously. 

I was very curious how that rear bumper seal would hold up.

I remember Sudsy's saltiga surf...similar design..............that bumper didn't hold up.

The certate has 2 screws and the exist has 1.

Personally I don't like it...as you really can't wrench it down tight.  

I used to not mind the mag seal...that was....when you could get it from ferrotec....not the tweeter stuff and not the magic kit stuff......but the real fluidic seal stuff.

One thing I found odd......after getting my saltiga back from a full service......they didn't clean the bearings.......they just added ferrofluid....

the bearings were gunked up and needed cleaning.......which is a bit of a process.....  (I went back in and cleaned them out and replenished the ferrofluid)

And I've heard some crazy $$ for saltiga repairs......300+ for a gear set...................get the **** out of hear with that.....