T-Top or Trolling Motor

Rate this topic

Wizumz

Doing some work on the rig this fall and while I will have the t-top off I started to think about selling it for a trolling motor.  As of now, I use the T-Top for storage of VHS, speakers, stereo and rod holders... but with a little time spent rewiring and cutting new holes, I could relocate this to my console easily.  In support of that, I could pick up a spot-lock trolling motor, which would allow me to fish solo way easier as I normally fish the shallows within 40ft of rocks.  Currently, I have to either anchor or fish from the stern and fairly often reposition, depending on currents.  Just this past weekend I hit my first rock and it damn near scared the life out of me, wasn't going fast and it was just the keel of the motor that hit, but it made me reconsider things.

Now to the purpose of the topic... how much do you think one could fetch for a used t-top?  I have a Stryker t-top with an electronics box.  It's a heavy-duty kind and really well made.  Honestly, one of the better t-tops I've seen out there so there's no going back as I heard they don't even make this model anymore.  Ideally, it would be at least $1k in resale.  This supports the trolling motor purchase, battery, and onboard charger as I'd need to optimize my wiring config.

Additionally, what are the benefits, minus shade and storage, that a t-top brings?  I spend most of my time fishing on the boat and am usually back at the docks by midday if fishing the morning, so I'm rarely uncomfortable in the heat.  I'd imagine I wouldn't drift as quickly without a t-top and could gain some mph on the top-end with the reduced weight.  PLUS less weight would mean a smaller draft, though this would be slightly offset by an additional battery under the console for the trolling motor.

I'm leaning towards selling the thing.... convince me otherwise 

The fishing you describe is my  program. shallow waters and rock piles and submerged islands.  I couldn't do my fishing without a troller.  Whatever you do get the right sized troller for your boat.  Nothing worse than having a motor that can't do it's job.  Once you have the trolling motor you will wonder how you lived without it.  Go for it. I plug 90% if the time.

11 mins ago, John P said:

The fishing you describe is my  program. shallow waters and rock piles and submerged islands.  I couldn't do my fishing without a troller.  Whatever you do get the right sized troller for your boat.  Nothing worse than having a motor that can't do it's job.  Once you have the trolling motor you will wonder how you lived without it.  Go for it. I plug 90% if the time.

Yeah, I feel like I won't be able to fish without one once I try it.  I'm looking at a 60" 80# Minn Kota, for a 19' Mako CC

3 mins ago, MakoMike said:

keep the t-top and buy the trolling motor.

Too much $$$.  Also, those that know me know that I always try to sell something before I buy and I rarely, if ever, buy NEW... depends on the item of course.

Plus, I'm kind of tired having to adjust my casts and boat orientation to not hook a net, rod, or something on the t-top.

Edited by Wizumz

3 mins ago, Wizumz said:

Too much $$$.  Also, those that know me know that I always try to sell something before I buy and I rarely, if ever, buy NEW... depends on the item of course.

Plus, I'm kind of tired having to adjust my casts and boat orientation to not hook a net, rod, or something on the t-top.

So you us the T-top to store rods & nets, where do you think they will go when you get rid of the t-top? Answer - in the gunnels, where they will be an even bigger PITA to avoid.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

2 mins ago, MakoMike said:

So you us the T-top to store rods & nets, where do you think they will go when you get rid of the t-top? Answer - in the gunnels, where they will be an even bigger PITA to avoid.

This is true... rods being on the console may still get in the way, would have to run with them on the deck or make rod lockers in the gunnels.

On 9/11/2019 at 10:08 PM, makorider said:

I dont think you'll get much for a stryker.

No offense, but most wouldn't consider a new one at whatever price.

Ditto.

Even  a good  custom  used t top  is very hard to sell used . It's uslly built for that console,floor ,livewell etc so fitment on another boat is uslly a issue. If it a universal one like yours . They have way to may adj points which makes them flex and not enough mounting points. Plus the tubes are not as big and thick.. last time I seen strikers on sale was 1k for a new one. imo you will lose re sale value on the boat if you remove and will probly never sell it  once removed. Resale value at most maybe 500 but realistically if it sells  probly 300.  Then you have to explain why you have holes In the floor when you resale the boat. 

On 9/13/2019 at 2:01 PM, 757saltwater said:

Ditto.

Even  a good  custom  used t top  is very hard to sell used . It's uslly built for that console,floor ,livewell etc so fitment on another boat is uslly a issue. If it a universal one like yours . They have way to may adj points which makes them flex and not enough mounting points. Plus the tubes are not as big and thick.. last time I seen strikers on sale was 1k for a new one. imo you will lose re sale value on the boat if you remove and will probly never sell it  once removed. Resale value at most maybe 500 but realistically if it sells  probly 300.  Then you have to explain why you have holes In the floor when you resale the boat. 

Good point, would need the right buyer.  It's not an adjustable one and it has nice heavy duty thick bars, fits my 19 mako perfectly, stock center console... guess I'm keeping it mostly for resale purposes, will just have to save up for a trolling motor

Edited by Wizumz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...