BrianBM

IRT reels in the surf

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

On 9/11/2019 at 6:38 PM, BrianBM said:

Mark D, that'd be a first-generation Torque, yes?  That's the one that A. Hawk liked so much. 

yes torque 5 first gen. off topic but i also have a torque 12 conv. what a sweet little machine

My experience with the IRT is limited.. my daily fishing buddy got a 300 size and we played with it for a season.. it now sits in his garage and hasn't seen use since last year...

It wasn't sealed so wasn't really a surf reel IMO... jetty reel or boat reel, sure...

It wasn't all that well balanced and there was a fairly pronounced wobble in it while retrieving.. I remember when i tried it for albies. At that cranking speed the wobble was almost a joke..  the drag, however, performed flawlessly and smooth as can be.. 

----------------

I own the torque II 5500.. I tried it out in the surf a few times but decided it was going to be a better boat reel..

Has some tight tolerances where sand would get caught and make a horrible racket while reeling. 

Additionally, sand got in the bail spring area twice and was a nightmare.. the bail arm would jam and it would require disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly before fishing again.. Obviously that would be avoided with a bail-less version.. 

It was more well suited as a boat reel, but not without issue... once after a long day of motoring around where the screw that holds the bail arm had backed itself out... not sure if it was from lots of use or the vibration of the motors (or both)... I fixed it with some locktite and it's been fine since.. other than that, it's been a very solid and dependable reel that gets tons of use on the boat..

Pierce, that's a lot of money to ship - you're quite right.

Beachglass Guru, thank you for that excellent, highly specific post.

Very fine tolerances are always problematic in a beach environment. That's one reason that I have no interest in a lever-drag reel, many of which are finely made.

If Long Island Sound is suddenly invaded by bigeye tuna and billfish that swim close to the shore, I'll get a bigger Sealine, or sumpin'.

9 hours ago, BrianBM said:

If Long Island Sound is suddenly invaded by bigeye tuna and billfish that swim close to the shore, I'll get a bigger Sealine, or sumpin'.

I love that

IF