BrianBM

IRT reels in the surf

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Ksong likes his IRT spinning reels. Has anyone else here used them? I'm mainly interested in their use in surf fishing.

There are six manufacturers of top-end spinning reels, Daiwa, Shimano, VS, ZB, Penn and IRT.  (Never mind Blue Marlin or any other Koelwyn project of the moment, there are too few of them out there to matter.) In the surf scene, VS seems to have the biggest mind share, with ZB,, Daiwa Saltiga, and Shimano Stella some distance behind. I don't know where the other reels are currently priced, though the biggest Stella lists at an eye-popping $1400.

Penn's Torque spinning reels got some love from Alan Hawk, largely on grounds of mechanical simplicity and the long term durability he foresaw as following on that simplicity. Most comments here were negative, on aesthetic grounds; it wasn't considered pretty enough, and won't fit well with the posters' surf bags, purses and lipstick. (SOL anglers are remarkably fashion-conscious.) I haven't seen much here about the Torques as surf reels for quite a while. But it and the IRT reels do have one very appealing feature, they're made here. 

So, if you have experience with either the Torque or an IRT reel in the surf, what's your take on them? Especially the IRT reels, I'm curious. 

I just discovered an IRT thread that I started last November.  Dennysnook had been testing a 500DD, but wasn't free at the time to talk at length about it.  Denny, if you're free to talk, we'd love to hear from you. You and Ksong are doubtless 90% of the sum of experience of IRT reels on SOL. 

Paul, which IRT reel are you using in the surf?  How's it holding up?

19 mins ago, mark d said:

Have had the torque for about ,4-5 years. It will be my go to surf reel for the rest of my life

Made in america

Mark D, that'd be a first-generation Torque, yes?  That's the one that A. Hawk liked so much. 

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

I can't tell from what I've seen on line how well or little sealed the IRT reels may be.  

Brian ,I was fortunate enough to be given 3 IRTs for testing. The 300,400 and 500. Overall I've been pleased with. They aren't fully sealed so I definitely don't use them like my VS and ZB. They are working on the sealed aspect of the reels. The drags are awesome, great line lay and casting. There is the tiniest of play in the handle which kind of turns me off but that's being worked on as well. I fished the 400 paired with a 10' Stealth last fall almost exclusively and it performed great. I am not nice to my reels. I put the 500 thru its paces this Spring. 3 bass over 40lbs and many 30lb+ bass and it handled every situation great. That being said, they are not yet on the level of VS or ZB but they have a great start. I'm getting ready to trade the 3 of them in for some bailess and higher speed versions...I'll keep you posted. 

46 mins ago, BrianBM said:

AF Mike, thank you.

Pierce, a promotional video is a wee bit insufficient for an informed opinion. 

Alan hawk mentions the jigging master reel on his blog   He describes it as a Chinese branded reel being resold as a reel manufactured in Taiwan. 

Are the accurate spinners in the same league as the ones you listed?  I think they are more boat reels than surf. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

13 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Paul, which IRT reel are you using in the surf?  How's it holding up?

Mark D, that'd be a first-generation Torque, yes?  That's the one that A. Hawk liked so much. 

Using the 300 in the pic, and a 400 , 

the 7’ in pic I use for walking the beach , fun combo, it’s actually the fluke jig combo on their site, popular setup. Also have a 8’ and 8’6 rod to use , but mostly use the 300 for all round..

holding up very well so far..

even let my charter customers use once in a while :)

Edited by paul708

9 hours ago, Fall fish said:

Alan hawk mentions the jigging master reel on his blog   He describes it as a Chinese branded reel being resold as a reel manufactured in Taiwan. 

Are the accurate spinners in the same league as the ones you listed?  I think they are more boat reels than surf. 

I have no idea.  I saw Hawk's post, and I think, tentatively, that he was trying to warn readers that it might not be the same manufacturer as makes the well-known jigging master reels (Ksong uses and sells them in his shop) that are the lever drag models.  I looked on the Jigging Master site and lo! and behold, JM does now have a spinning reel.  Is it made in China proper for JM, and JM is reselling it?  Maybe.  I don't know.

As to the Accurate spinners, I know nothing about them. 

Pierce, Ksong did say that he was going to carry the IRT reels in his shop, but his website hasn't been upgraded to show it, yet.  Otherwise you have to order IRT reels directly from their website.