New to surf fishing

Rate this topic

Garshark572

Hi I'm a college student at hofstra and I could use so help in regarding places to fish.  I'm from ohio so I dont have much surf fishing experience.  I have fished a few places in jones beach and caught blue fish short fluke and 3 stripers in probably 30 trips.  I know people are tight lipped out here about places to fish.  I'm not asking for anyone's secret spots but if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.  I have a car so driving on the beach is a no go.  I plan to get the night permit bc it seems like I need it to catch fish but it will be expensive since I'm a non resident.   I would love any help people could give me, I mostly fish sp minnows, mag darters, bucktails and tins.  Thanks in advance for any help.  Fishing on long island is a little overwhelming, theres so much to learn

Like hydraman said

You are close to some very, very good places to fish. Lots of inlet and lots of beach to cover.

As for night permit, check with Jones park office. You may be able to get permit with student ID.

I know that they are giving permits to cars with out of state plates $55.00

http://jonesbeach.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=276&Itemid=100087

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

23 hours ago, Garshark572 said:

Hi I'm a college student at hofstra and I could use so help in regarding places to fish.  I'm from ohio so I dont have much surf fishing experience.  I have fished a few places in jones beach and caught blue fish short fluke and 3 stripers in probably 30 trips.  I know people are tight lipped out here about places to fish.  I'm not asking for anyone's secret spots but if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.  I have a car so driving on the beach is a no go.  I plan to get the night permit bc it seems like I need it to catch fish but it will be expensive since I'm a non resident.   I would love any help people could give me, I mostly fish sp minnows, mag darters, bucktails and tins.  Thanks in advance for any help.  Fishing on long island is a little overwhelming, theres so much to learn

Ah, Hofstra, my alma mater.  Good school but expensive.

In addition to the advice already given, I suggest you pass into Causeway or one of your local tackle shops and ask them.  They are usually more than willing to help a customer.  Good luck.

13 mins ago, jps1010 said:

Ah, Hofstra, my alma mater.  Good school but expensive.

In addition to the advice already given, I suggest you pass into Causeway or one of your local tackle shops and ask them.  They are usually more than willing to help a customer.  Good luck.

I have stopped in there and they pointed in the right direction in jones beach but I'm looking to extend possible locations to fish.  And I'm an athlete so with out scholarships it would be crazy expensive. 

It's always nice to have company and to have someone to motivate you.

But to be honest. Some of the best results I got was when I was on my own.

I had a fish on the other day at Jones. My outfit felt like if I was fishing with

silly string.

Edited by SandSpike1

Overalls With Suspenders

11 hours ago, Garshark572 said:

What kinds of lures would you use in the water below.  I fished it with sp minnows mag darter and bucktails with no luck.  Not sure if there weren't fish or I was using the wrong stuff.  Additional info 15 mph wind in my face.  Seams like prime striper white water.

20190913_193452.jpg

Buck tail with a trailer 

Bucks with trailers rule, I carry several sizes to keep it down depending on the current/wind.  Also, I use a needle (go slow!), a diamond jig if there's sand eels about, and a popper.  Your SP and Mag darter are also good, especially if it's weedy out.  I have a couple of tins to poke over the bar while walking to where I am going.  Keep the lure in and be aware at the end of the retrieve, you'd be surprised at what's lying in the trough.  Take notes and good luck!  Surfcasting was an excellent way to clear the head during college and even if you're skunked, it was still better than the nonsense that was on campus.  Too bad the fish isn't around now like when I was in school, but I'd still go out even with the way things are today.

I'm usually hesitant about suggesting a bucktail to anyone if they are not proficient.

It is not forgiving and there is a technique and learning curve - took my 3 seasons of trying before I caught a single striper on a bucktail.

Much easier for a beginner to use a paddle tail soft plastic and do well  (when conditions are right ).

I actually prefer a diamond jig

Agreed there's a learning curve to using bucks, I got lucky with trying to learn on a South shore sandy beach, if had tried at Mecca or North shore with bubble seaweed rocks, it would've been very expensive.  I also got lucky once when a local took pity on me and straightened me out on a few things that would've taken me months, if lucky - to learn.  And for a while I was giving more blood to Uncle Josh than to the Red Cross getting the rinds on and off.  But man oh man, once I got it, it was totally worth the effort.

Garshark, look at the archives here, just in this sub-forum alone, and you can find more than enough to get started.  Only thing is, the fish is way down and I'm happy with anything I get when fishing the suds.  The fishery is a pale shadow of what it used to be.