ermghoti

Yay! Infected Finger.

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

10 mins ago, fishhappy said:

Yes there are generics available at 1/3 the price. Look for the active ingredients chlorhexidine (hebliclens comes with a pink dye so I usually buy the generic) and povidone-iodine. Big chain pharmacies have generics of each. I buy red and blue small capped travel bottles and fill one of each. Get the cap you need to twist off and not the cap that you press to open, since the press open top can come open if the bottle is squeezed. Also keep the bottles in a plastic ziplock freezer bag, because the betadine stains cloth.

Excellent. Thank you for the info. I think I'll get these and keep them in my bag. The five year old antibacterial wipes aren't doing much for pokes and scrapes..

12 mins ago, Nomad92 said:

Excellent. Thank you for the info. I think I'll get these and keep them in my bag. The five year old antibacterial wipes aren't doing much for pokes and scrapes..

For covering larger gashes I have also used surgical tape and cotton. Covering a wound after disinfecting is just as important. 

The problem in this case was this was such a minor scrape that I wouldn't have categorized it as a wound, per se. I could probably justify wiping my hands with disinfectant a few times during the day, then again at the end, but if I dressed every scrape of this magnitude, I wouldn't get a lot of fishing done.