ermghoti

Yay! Infected Finger.

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 hours ago, cityevader said:

This is an east coast thing, it seems. 

The Gulf Coast has bacteria in salt water than will kill you if you ignore signs of infection.

Edited by LSP552

22 hours ago, giant basshole said:

What no gross pics ?

This was middle of the night, before urgent care, during the day, after the visit, then a couple from the ER.

IMG_20190910_062835128.jpg

IMG_20190910_073615899.jpg

IMG_20190910_172612748.jpg

IMG_20190910_172647746.jpg

1 hour ago, ermghoti said:

This was middle of the night, before urgent care, during the day, after the visit, then a couple from the ER.

IMG_20190910_062835128.jpg

IMG_20190910_073615899.jpg

IMG_20190910_172612748.jpg

IMG_20190910_172647746.jpg

Looks painful , heal up .

2 hours ago, ermghoti said:

Actually, it didn't get anything past sore, it was the progression that concerned me.

One more day and the doctor would have come in with a machete.

Scary stuff.  I've had a couple infections in on my fingers/hands in recent years.  It's not something to casually put off.  Mine wasn't from touching fish.  My hands get dry and cracked very easily in recent years.  I picked up something while touching dirty boxes or parts at work.  Had a lump on my wrist about half the size of a golf ball.  Put me out of work for a week I was in so much pain.  Doctor visit and 10 days of antibiotics.  At night trying to sleep going from shivering one minute to sweating profusely the next for a day or two.  From beginning when I first felt pain until my hand was complete back to normal was almost three weeks.  I try to touch fish as little as possible anymore.  I'm a bit afraid of something like this happening.  I always carry hand sanitizer but I guess I should look for the other stuff mentioned here.

Edited by 40shades-of-blue

when my son was 2, he fell and scraped his knees at the beach.  About 4 days later, it got infected and swollen.  We went to the doctor and was told if he get fever in a next few days, then take him to the ER.  That evening, he had a fever and we went to the ER.  It turned out he had a case of MRSA infection.  MRSA is a type of bateria that are resistant to normal antibiotics.  In the next few days, his leg was swollen to almost twice its normal size.  We ended up transferred him to a pediatric hospital where he was treated with strong IV antibiotics for 10 days before they discharge him.

take care of yourself.

2 hours ago, Slowpoke Kid said:

when my son was 2, he fell and scraped his knees at the beach.  About 4 days later, it got infected and swollen.  We went to the doctor and was told if he get fever in a next few days, then take him to the ER.  That evening, he had a fever and we went to the ER.  It turned out he had a case of MRSA infection.  MRSA is a type of bateria that are resistant to normal antibiotics.  In the next few days, his leg was swollen to almost twice its normal size.  We ended up transferred him to a pediatric hospital where he was treated with strong IV antibiotics for 10 days before they discharge him.

take care of yourself.

Good call dad.  You probably saved his life by not delaying in getting him to the Pro's.  :th:  Ya gotta love happy endings -especially when it involves the little'uns. 

(We just had a scare with one of our grandies.  Four years old and he got wacked by a tick that tested + for Rocky Mountain Spotted fever.  He was asymptomatic when my daughter took him to the doc but the doc put him on doxycycline calcium to be proactive.  My daughter pulled the tick off of him 2 weeks ago yesterday.  Doc says he's 99% out of the woods -if he gets through the weekend without a fever, he's good-to-go.  Both of my daughters send every tick they pull from their kids & husbands to TickCheck.com.  One son-in-law had a tick + for lyme -caught it early thanks to tickcheck.  Bad stuff in the water and in the woods.  Ya can't be too careful anymore.)

Good luck with that finger!

Edited by Jettyhound

On 9/12/2019 at 11:19 AM, LSP552 said:

The Gulf Coast has bacteria in salt water than will kill you if you ignore signs of infection.

Vibrio.

There have been some incidents on the East Coast, too.

I was bonefishing in the Turks and Caicos a few years ago, which involved some wet wading.  Came home and realized that I had an expanding red rash where i had scraped my leg.  Called a couple of friends in Florida and asked them what they thought; they seaid that it sounded like Vibrio and told me to go straight to the doctor.

Turned out that it wasn't anything close to that bad, but it was a bacterial infection and I ended up taking a course of doxycyline to get rid of it.

On 9/11/2019 at 2:38 PM, fishhappy said:

There are two products you may want to consider keeping with you, hebiclens and betadine solution. Keep small viles and apply both to cuts immediately, even if they are small. Lots of nastiness in fish and crab goo, not to mention the amount of poop that is in near shore water. Most bacteria out there will eat over the counter antiobitic ointment, if you are going to use otc anitibiotic cream, use the ointment after applying the hebliclens and betadine.  Make sure you are not allergic to the ointment first.

Don't forget to cover the wound with bandage.  

Can these both be purchased over the counter? Pharmacies?

On 9/11/2019 at 4:22 PM, Joser said:

I got grazed by a bluefish tooth when I worked on the head boats that gave me a nasty infection in my finger. Took a month to heal it with the z pack. Finger was swollen like a sausage and couldn't bend it. Marine Bacteria is nasty

I got bit by a Bluefish one time. Lifeguard working at the beach I was fishing immediately ran over and took care of it with Hydrogen Peroxide since I had raw shrimp on my finger and the bluefish cut. Hydrogen Peroxide is awesome disinfectant. 

2 mins ago, Nomad92 said:

Can these both be purchased over the counter? Pharmacies?

Yes there are generics available at 1/3 the price. Look for the active ingredients chlorhexidine (hebliclens comes with a pink dye so I usually buy the generic) and povidone-iodine. Big chain pharmacies have generics of each. I buy red and blue small capped travel bottles and fill one of each. Get the cap you need to twist off and not the cap that you press to open, since the press open top can come open if the bottle is squeezed. Also keep the bottles in a plastic ziplock freezer bag, because the betadine stains cloth.