Fresh water guy

Here for 2 mornings , 9/12 9/13

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I am staying in Truro .... I am new to this ocean fishing.   I borrowed 2 surf casting rods and a bunch of plugs.  I also have the 4 wd truck stickered and inspected to ride on the beach.  I have 2 opportunities about 4 hours each to try and catch fish.   Both mornings  5 am or so till 10am ..... Do i have any chance to catch anything at  Wellfleet docks and Pamet? boat launch where the river comes in ?   

Also we have fire permit for both nights on south race point..... Any thoughts on what to throw and if i have any chance ?    plugs or chunk bait?    Best times to fish ?  I do not understand this tide thing yet.    People have said fish the tide ,  I just dont get it and internet search for fishing the tide is not helping me.

Thank YOu

Posted (edited) · Report post

Got up at 3:45 am * climbed down the rocks to the shore.... fished the low tide at 5:30 am   fished from 4:45am till 6:30 am.  not a bite.   I threw poppers , spinners , and spoons as well as left a hi / low rig  ? with mackerel --- changed it out 4 times.    Not one bite.   Will try tomorrow morning again.   Low tide is at 5:55 tomorrow.  Will try again from 5 to 7am  ------   I also fished the high tide from 10 to about 11:30 pm....  same thing nothing,  not a bite.

Edited by TimS
Please don't post overly specific locations - it makes the regulars that fish those spots break out in hives ;-)

I will try again tonight to catch something. and then again tomorrow morning before driving back north a few hours back to my small trout ponds, float tube and my fly rod.   Will pack it in till next yr when i am expected to be back for a 2 day trip in Sept 2020. 

2 mins ago, Fresh water guy said:

I will try again tonight to catch something. and then again tomorrow morning before driving back north a few hours back to my small trout ponds, float tube and my fly rod.   Will pack it in till next yr when i am expected to be back for a 2 day trip in Sept 2020. 

Stick around a little bit, engage in some conversations with the folks here...and next year when you come back I'd be surprised if you didn't have someone local to help you find a fish or two :)

TimS

Seems you are doing the right stuff. 

If you are chunking macks you may be better served using a fishfinder rig, like below rather than a high-low. (where you are a 3-4oz bank sinker rather than a pyramid would be fine as it’s sandy). Fishfinder on main line, swivel, leader about the length of fingertips to elbow, and a Gamikatsu circle hook in 8/0 size. 

9A08101F-CF94-429D-A75A-E9840C5B4E06.jpeg

37 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

Seems you are doing the right stuff. 

If you are chunking macks you may be better served using a fishfinder rig, like below rather than a high-low. (where you are a 3-4oz bank sinker rather than a pyramid would be fine as it’s sandy). Fishfinder on main line, swivel, leader about the length of fingertips to elbow, and a Gamikatsu circle hook in 8/0 size. 

9A08101F-CF94-429D-A75A-E9840C5B4E06.jpeg

Nice job.  I was going to suggest he try chunking.

Thank You ,  i am back home to fish for rainbows.  I will be back for a couple days in 1 yr.  I will go with your suggestions and try then.  I got out this morning from 5:30am to 8am throwing spinners, poppers and spoons as well as rigging up the chunk of mackerel.   No fish , maybe next yr.

On 9/12/2019 at 9:26 AM, TimS said:

Stick around a little bit, engage in some conversations with the folks here...and next year when you come back I'd be surprised if you didn't have someone local to help you find a fish or two :)

TimS

Words of wisdom for sure. Learn the ways of the sand by also spending a little more time researching , plenty of good advise located with in the many posts here over the years