dbjpb

Sea Brite

66 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, dbjpb said:

Weather dot com has thunderstorms tomorrow .

I'm sure there's some others with this feature, but Windalert allows you to select from 9 different forecast models of differing time and location accuracy. WF-WRF 2km will only forecast about 36 hrs out, but is way more accurate than a lot of the courser scale models. That model is free on the phone but costs on the desktop for some reason. I'd never trust such a generic regional forecast as weather dot com.

Was out front today to three miles out. Started out a little choppy but glass out around 9am. Flat all the way back in. Ran into a lot of bait out there. The party boats steam right into the bird activity. Spanish, weakfish, blues, and bonito were out there. Spanish Mack's were big jumping clean out the water almost right next to the kayak. Pretty cool stuff. Did see the big Dong pass us out there also.

20190916_103039.jpg

Edited by FishingmaniYaks
Spelling

6 mins ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

Was out front today to three miles out. Started out a little choppy but glass out around 9am. Flat all the way back in. Ran into a lot of bait out there. The party boats steam right into the bird activity. Spanish, weakfish, blues, and bonito were out there. Spanish Mack's were big jumping clean out the water almost right next to the kayak. Pretty cool stuff. Did see the big Dong pass us out there also.

Didja catch anything????

35 mins ago, gellfex said:

Didja catch anything????

Blues, weakfish, and bonito. The spanish must have been sporadic. I was casting my head off for those things. Ypu would either get a small bonito or bluefish. If you didn't get hit while jigging instantly the weakfish were underneath. That I was very surprised. Pink s&s lures worked on the weakfish. All metals worked for the others. 

5 mins ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

Blues, weakfish, and bonito. The spanish must have been sporadic. I was casting my head off for those things. Ypu would either get a small bonito or bluefish. If you didn't get hit while jigging instantly the weakfish were underneath. That I was very surprised. Pink s&s lures worked on the weakfish. All metals worked for the others. 

Did you keep any bonito to eat?

3 mins ago, atv223 said:

Did you keep any bonito to eat?

I wasnt keeping anguish on this trip other than spanish which I failed on. The bonito were really small. About 8" to 10" maybe. Had about a dozen of them. The spanish looked pretty big like about 28". I was wondering if the could have been small king mackerel. I wish I had the go pro with me today to check the video but I left it on the table when I left this morning. Does anybody know if king mackerel are catchable out there at this time?

2 hours ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

I wasnt keeping anguish on this trip other than spanish which I failed on. The bonito were really small. About 8" to 10" maybe. Had about a dozen of them. The spanish looked pretty big like about 28". I was wondering if the could have been small king mackerel. I wish I had the go pro with me today to check the video but I left it on the table when I left this morning. Does anybody know if king mackerel are catchable out there at this time?

Last year I got into bonito that size and kept a bunch.  We cooked them up and they were good, but I'd do them Poke next time.  I hope the spanish hang around longer, I've never gotten one and so that would be awesome!

I am tempted. I've only been out 3 times in my Revo so far and that was in the Delaware.  I think I need a few more trips before I go out front to be safe lol

50 mins ago, atv223 said:

Conditions are looking promising for Sunday morning. Anyone interested in heading out front?

I was looking at the forecast, I think i'm going to give it a shot and probably launch at first light.  

15 mins ago, dbjpb said:

Sunday is looking good

I’ve never surf launched.  If I decide to go I’ll shoot you a PM Saturday night after I check the surf cams