BNickW

10 weight fly rod for boat recommendations

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, bhorsley said:

I am curious about the Payload --I have thrown it in the yard which does not mean squat.  Looking forward to fishing with it.  Jari has tested the Payload and has more experience with them --I think the ones he used were the heavier weights 

Yep, it was nice to work with the guys from SAge on that rod. The production model 10wt is a great rod. The proto 9wt had some issues (in my opinion) but I got full confidence that the R&D guys have tweaked also the 9wt to perfection. 

The 10wt has a smooth deep bend and the most powerful tip on the market. Perfect for tossing big flies or fast sinking lines. 

21 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Unlimited budget... that would be my albie rod

I've casted the 7/8/9 in 9' and fished the 9.  When Scott gets all the shops fully stocked I'd like to do some side by sides with the 9' and 8'4" rods.

I’m also a fan of my shortstix. I read a recommendation on here about the white river heat rod from basspro. For a hundred bucks I had to give it a shot. Not high end obviously, but it did real well fighting big blues earlier this year. 

81B249B3-2FE9-4197-866A-F19060EAF65C.jpeg

Edited by DaveCap

All the Hardy one piece rods are 8'9" length and I like their 10 wt a lot.  Probably most one piece saltwater rods are 8'9" instead of 9' owing to the UPS penalty for shipping a 9' rod. 

I've cast and used the one piece rods and the four piece Hardy's and I did not feel any performance gain from the 3" loss in length.  I do go to 8-1/2 ft rods when I"m using 13 wt and up rods for the extra leverage I get from the shorter rod.  But for 12 wt and under I prefer full 9 ft rods.  

12 hours ago, DaveCap said:

I’m also a fan of my shortstix. I read a recommendation on here about the white river heat rod from basspro. For a hundred bucks I had to give it a shot. Not high end obviously, but it did real well fighting big blues earlier this year. 

81B249B3-2FE9-4197-866A-F19060EAF65C.jpeg

Since you have fished them both is there any glaring differences?

7 hours ago, BNickW said:

Tough to compare. The heat is only an 8 and I have a heavy, sinking line on it whereas the shortstix is a 9/10 and I have an intermediate line on it. All I can say is that it had good backbone. For a hundred bucks I gave it a shot and I don’t regret it.

7 hours ago, BNickW said:

Tough to compare. The heat is only an 8 and I have a heavy, sinking line on it whereas the shortstix is a 9/10 and I have an intermediate line on it. All I can say is that it had good backbone. For a hundred bucks I gave it a shot and I don’t regret it

On 9/11/2019 at 10:22 AM, BNickW said:

Thanks guys. I’ll have to look more closely at sage and orvis. Or track down a shortstix. Any idea if the sage model comes in larger sizes?

I have the peacock model, it absurd. 11wt obs would barely load it. I use 28' of T-18.

On 9/11/2019 at 3:33 PM, bhorsley said:

Sage has the new rod called The Payload.  The 7, 8, 9 are all 8'9" and the 10 is 9' and the 11is 9'3".  They are designed to throw heaver lines. They retail around 550.00.  Me I did not like the Bass series rods.  Too short for my taste.  

I am taking the 8wt Payload to Brazil next week so will report back.  

I think the Bass series if I remember correctly were to meet the Bass Pro tournament rod length reqs.  There's a guy on here who swears by them for SnakeHead fishing.

A Scott S3S, 9' at 10 weight is great. The STS if you can find one will never let you down. It is older but a proven winner. I don't do much from a boat anymore, unfortunately. When I did the wind and the waves left a challenge for those shots requiring accuracy at a moments notice. Everything Scott makes is a great tool. I don't care to always get the newest iteration. I have gone back to these rods for their tried and true beginnings. They never let me down. If you want a warranty you have to buy their newer stuff. Finding a S3S or STS is few and far between but not impossible. Both are fast loading with a ton of backbone. Great for a boat.