BNickW

10 weight fly rod for boat recommendations

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

So what replaces the Short Stix? There doesn’t seem to have a good option for the 8 foot, 10 weight boat rod. I thought the orvis recon had an option but the shorter models seem to be just in the lighter weights.

5 mins ago, BNickW said:

So what replaces the Short Stix? There doesn’t seem to have a good option for the 8 foot, 10 weight boat rod. I thought the orvis recon had an option but the shorter models seem to be just in the lighter weights.

Orvis Recon 10wt 8 footer.  Call Orvis, I bet they still have them even though it's off the website.  Nobody wanted them.  Excellent rod for NE fishing.

Edited by Cpalms

I have a Shortstix 9/10   used a few times love it  just dont get to use it as much as i want too...now its in the corner collecting dust....hard to find the shorter rods for boat lately

Edited by GreenMachine

Sage has a line of fast loading shorter boat fly rods , I own one, the Large Mouth model and its great, not sure if thats the type of application you were seeking, good luck.

Basspro/Cabela's has the White River Heat 7'10 in a 10wt.  I'm sure it's not on the same level as the Recon or Shortstix but it's cheap, might be worth a look.  I have one in an 8wt for kayak fishing, certainly worth the $ 100 I paid for it.

Sadly Sage discontinued the Bass II series early this year.  I grab a small mouth blank directly from Sage for $190 which was a good price.  I wanted the large mouth but they were sold out.  The small mouth is rated for a 290gr line but feels more like a 7 or 8wt from a backbone stand point.  Nice rod though.  I have that rod and a Bass Pro Stage 1 Heat (10wt) I keep on my boat.  The Sage has an intermediate and the Stage 1 has a full sinker.  I've caught quite a few fish with the Stage 1.  Nothing huge but I really like the blank.  You can get them it 4 piece (Heat) or 1 piece (Stage 1).  $100 or less (on sale).  I paid $80. Some have had breakage problems but I have not.  The components are just average and I don't like the grip (foam).  I plan on stripping the rod over the winter and putting new parts on it.  I would never go back to a 9' unless I have no choice.  I can cast these at least 60' which is all I typically need on the boat and the short rod makes landing the fish much easier.  I don't like these rods when wade fishing.  I think companies should have market them specifically to boat/float tube fisherman.  They might have had better luck selling them.

fly_rods.jpg

Sage has the new rod called The Payload.  The 7, 8, 9 are all 8'9" and the 10 is 9' and the 11is 9'3".  They are designed to throw heaver lines. They retail around 550.00.  Me I did not like the Bass series rods.  Too short for my taste.  

I am taking the 8wt Payload to Brazil next week so will report back.  

I love the action on my old Scott Heli-ply. They are 8’8” and work big fish offshore with a lot of lifting power. I have been looking at a new Scott Meridian 8410 to replace my old HP 8810 3 piece rod. Another good looking rod is the Thomas and Thomas Exocett SS at 8’8”. When casting heavy lines in the wind  and landing fish on a boat I don’t want to use a 9 footer. 

1 hour ago, jabster said:

Are glass rods an option for you?

I have a 5 weight glass rod. I love it but couldn’t imagine the action scaled up to a ten weight. I would like to test cast one now.

I have a 9' 8wt glass rod I put together last year.  Fun to play with and but not awesome when you have to blind cast for a while.  I normally only break it out if there is lots of fish to catch.  On the plus side the blank was $40 and it's white!

Brian,

I think your type of opinion is what ultimately did in the 8' rods.  I really think you need to give one a try from a boat before you write them off.  First time I used one was striper fishing with a guide in CA.  He was on Sage's pro staff.  That was the original Bass I series.  Super accurate and like casting a 4wt.  Still is.....

2 hours ago, BNickW said:

I have a 5 weight glass rod. I love it but couldn’t imagine the action scaled up to a ten weight. I would like to test cast one now.

Echo 8' #10 BAG is a decent sinking line rod and very nice and care free fighting fish. 8' #10 Epic Bandit is superior to the BaG in all ways but costs a lot more. They are not for everyone and I use glass only for certain types of fishing. Just throwing it out there as an option for a 8' rod

2 hours ago, qecfly said:

I have a 9' 8wt glass rod I put together last year.  Fun to play with and but not awesome when you have to blind cast for a while.  I normally only break it out if there is lots of fish to catch.  On the plus side the blank was $40 and it's white!

Brian,

I think your type of opinion is what ultimately did in the 8' rods.  I really think you need to give one a try from a boat before you write them off.  First time I used one was striper fishing with a guide in CA.  He was on Sage's pro staff.  That was the original Bass I series.  Super accurate and like casting a 4wt.  Still is.....

I guess this is for me--I have tried them and own them--just not for me.  I have a dear friend who loves them and fishes roosters with them with great success.  I have caught big albies and huge black skipjacks on the bass rod.  Boils down to personal preference. I am old and stubborn.

I am curious about the Payload --I have thrown it in the yard which does not mean squat.  Looking forward to fishing with it.  Jari has tested the Payload and has more experience with them --I think the ones he used were the heavier weights 

Edited by bhorsley