Fabfabinc

Shark

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

8 mins ago, Fabfabinc said:

Hello all,

In ocean park and caught a small shark no teeth the other day anyone know what type?

It's a dogfish. Probably a smooth dogfish

Common smoothhound for sure, other names smooth dogfish or sand shark.  They can get upwards of 4' long!!  Used to target the bigguns when bored down LI.

smoothhound.jpg

I've never seeen smooth dog fish north of the cape - have seen plenty of spiny dog fish up there, however. With that said, the pic actually looks like a spiny dog...while I can't see the dorsal fins to see if there are spines, the tail doesn't have a lobe...Smooth dogs have a tail lobe, spiny dogs do not (just as in that picture)

also, from a bottom view, the mouth on a smooth dog has more of a 'c' shape while the mouth on a spiny dog fish is more so in the shape of a straight line (also similar to the picture)...

lastly, the teeth on a spiny dog fish are small, but they are sharp and thankfully you didn't stick your finger in it's mouth (which is something you can safely do with a smooth dog fish)

1 hour ago, albacized said:

I've never seeen smooth dog fish north of the cape - have seen plenty of spiny dog fish up there, however. With that said, the pic actually looks like a spiny dog...while I can't see the dorsal fins to see if there are spines, the tail doesn't have a lobe...Smooth dogs have a tail lobe, spiny dogs do not (just as in that picture)

Must beg to differ, IMO there is a lower lobe in that photo...

13 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

Must beg to differ, IMO there is a lower lobe in that photo...

I think I used the wrong terminology - I meant that notch in the upper lobe of the tail (probably still not a good description)....but it's a spiny dog fish for sure

They did say no teeth and doggies do have small teeth.  They were chewing up our tuna baits last week... 

We'll have to see if OP says there were spines and which of the teeth below...

Doggie: Squalus_acanthias_upper_teeth.jpg

Smoothhound: Mustelus_norrisi_lower_teeth.jpg

Yes, I stand corrected, it's a spiny dogfish, Squalus ancanthias.  In this photo it's more pronounced on the second dorsal fin...

Edited by Roccus7