JaKol

Wrap Issue

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I have built a handful of rods over the years.  Never seen this happen to any of them, till now. Any thoughts?

For what it’s worth, Thread master light over Fuji A thread. It’s  been used almost 2 seasons just noticed today, it definitely was not there yesterday. 

43820ACE-CA3D-4BC8-BB34-DE7F696A9464.jpeg

565FAAE4-CE4E-4F8C-AB03-CD6C90954EC1.jpeg

I have never seen anything like that. Can't wait to see the comments. Almost looks like a hairline crack that absorbed water. Looks like it travels up and through the other foot. the pink trim at the top is discolored too? Is there finish between the feet?

No coat between feet. Each foot wrap coated separate and brought past thread onto blank.  Agreed The lower larger wrap looks like water got in and ran down. The discolored top wrap looks more like it’s a smear. If it was a continuous coating from bottom foot to top I’d say good possibility, but they are separate.  Thinking it might be water I hit it with heat gun to see if it would bubble up or dry out some, it didn’t change anything. I’m stumped. 

“Seep” I believe is the answer. Thanks. 

This is not my norm with this rod, I usually don’t have a teaser on the leader and crank the line all the way in until the TA clip meets the tip top. After fishing late yesterday. I went to take my teaser off and the light bulb in the head went on. 

I wonder if it would have happened with another color teaser.  

6A51673B-052E-4951-A9A5-E51694F32E8B.jpeg

Thanks Mike. 

Went single foot (KT) Torzite 7’s

9767BCA1-A510-40CA-84A6-108FE3BCCD06.jpeg.5cd6d0f785b35a7622de08ad094ed8a7.jpeg

Yeah kinda stinks.

All wraps done by hand turning blank on my antiquated caster wheel setup, no motor used. I actually have a motor (old sewing machine ) that I’ve used on other rods. I found it easier to do the guide wraps with A by hand. If I had done under wraps I probably would have used the motor.  

Thread tensioner is a stack of books with thread running through one of the books.  

Maybe over winter I will take a razor edge to it and scrape it down some to see if it is superficial.  Then give it a coat of finish.  Or I will just leave it as it is. 

I recommend scuffing the finish with 600/1000 paper, cleaning and recoating. You'll know immediately if the stain come off.   I'd be dumbfounded if the dye ran under the finish and discolored the thread.  ...Its gotta be on top.