Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjp5

Century Rods

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

A few years ago I  casted their 8 and 9wts, im a fan of the spin/surf line but not too crazy about their fly rods it felt spinish and heavy in my hands way too stiff with no feedback ,most of my rods are fast action i have 3 sage methods ,maybe the new version is better if they made one. Ron their spokesman asked me" what ya think" I said it felt too much like a spinning rod his answer was its not for everyone.

Edited by thaistick

I've got a 10' 9+wt surf machine fly blank that to my understanding is basically a 10' 2pc back bay blank. As a fly blank it is a real beast. I ordered the mid flex version, there is a tip flex as well. I'm pretty sure I do actually have the tip flex but Ryan White insists I have the mid flex. 

I don't get the spin ish feeling. A rod is a rod. Feeling load is overrated. It recovers instantly and has a lot of poke. I'm casting entire fly lines pretty routinely which I wasn't doing with my 9' 10wt. With a Cortland XRL 12wt intermediate I've been getting to 115' and 120' on grass with an empty leader. It likes 11-12wt long head lines best. I'm not one to overline a rod but trust me, this this is NOT a 9wt. More like a 15 wt. 

It does take some strength to wield. But I've fished 12 and 9 hours with it at a time without a problem. 

I really like what they're doing. They're trying to break the traditional fly rod stereotypical components as well. Their graphene technology is no joke. 

If I didn't build my own rods I'd be strongly looking at theirs. As a builder I am strongly looking at their blanks. 

Edited by RedGreen

24 mins ago, RedGreen said:

I've got a 10' 9+wt surf machine fly blank that to my understanding is basically a 10' 2pc back bay blank. As a fly blank it is a real beast. I ordered the mid flex version, there is a tip flex as well. I'm pretty sure I do actually have the tip flex but Ryan White insists I have the mid flex. 

I don't get the spin ish feeling. A rod is a rod. Feeling load is overrated. It recovers instantly and has a lot of poke. I'm casting entire fly lines pretty routinely which I wasn't doing with my 9' 10wt. With a Cortland XRL 12wt intermediate I've been getting to 115' and 120' on grass with an empty leader. It likes 11-12wt long head lines best. I'm not one to overline a rod but trust me, this this is NOT a 9wt. More like a 15 wt. 

It does take some strength to wield. But I've fished 12 and 9 hours with it at a time without a problem. 

I really like what they're doing. They're trying to break the traditional fly rod stereotypical components as well. Their graphene technology is no joke. 

If I didn't build my own rods I'd be strongly looking at theirs. As a builder I am strongly looking at their blanks. 

The spin ish  comes from their foam grip i have their surf machine with the same/similar grip "I'm not one to overline a rod but trust me, this this is NOT a 9wt. More like a 15 wt. " that's exactly my point

Edited by thaistick

5 mins ago, thaistick said:

The spin ish  comes from their foam grip i have their surf machine with the same/similar grip "I'm not one to overline a rod but trust me, this this is NOT a 9wt. More like a 15 wt. " that's exactly my point

Oh, that. 

I get that. I use syncork on all my rods, spin fly or otherwise. Never liked eva foam. Their prototype mid flex surf machine had a shrink wrapped handle. Would be ok if it was thick enough to hold but it was way too thin. 

It is pretty stiff. But it does rock 475 grains and loads up just fine with it. 

Red, did you take your Century blank measures before build?

Perhaps your Century is close the CTS 10ft Competition blank for 27g line I have? Its butt section was 61,80g (2.18oz) and max diameter 12,3mm. Tip section did weight 18.56g (0.655oz) and minimum diameter was 1,93mm. Built rod without fighting butt came reasonable 124.8g (4.40oz) and its CCS are IP 339g AA70 decrees. I use it on ICSF Seatrout Distance where max 27g (416gr) floating shooting head is cast. CTS blank did cost about $320 for me when I bought when they did not charge international postage.

Esa

Esa, 

My blank measured IP525 AA69, bottom section 3 ounces top 0.9 ounces. You see why I decline to accept it as a "mid" flex pattern. 

I extended my rod to 10'4'' for the inclusion of a 5'' fighting butt, for me to use as extreme leverage when casting backhanded. The finished rod is 7.5 ounces I believe, though most of that is in the handle, with only an ounce beyond the ferrule (2pc blank). I can just about cast it without significant physical issue, though choking up on it's 11" foregrip helps when casting normally. Backhanded I have zero issues with fatigue, and the line speed it generates is simply fantastic. 

Definitely not a mainstream rod. I built it as an in-between of my single handed 9'6'' 10wt and my 13'4'' 11/12wt TH rod. More fortuitous and capable of distance than my 10wt, but more precise, accurate, and nimble up close than my TH rods. 

Thanks Red!

So Centurion butt blank section is 38% heavier than CTS Comp 27g.

Blank tip section is 37% heavier

IP is 55% stiffer.

I have also CTS Comp 33g and its butt section was 76,8g so your Centurion butt section is 11% heavier.

Comp 33g tip was 21,8g so Centurion tip weights 17% more

And Comp 33g IP is 426g so Centurion IP is 23% stiffer.

Now when Comp 33g blank AA is 75 decrees it clearly shows in those persentages.

To me it looks like there is very little technological difference between these Centurion and CTS blanks.

Esa

CTS 10ft 27g vs 33g blanks:

Butt 61,8g vs 76,8g is 24%

Tip 18,6g vs 21,8g is 17%

Whole blank 80,4g vs 98,6 is 22,6%

IP 339g vs 426g is 25,7%

AA70 vs AA75 and this definitely shows on those persentages!

33g blank is four years old and 27g blank is two years old and perhaps there has been slight improvement in stiffness/weight ratio?

Esa

Esa

Couple of guys I know have cast same Century rod as Redgreen and were  taken aback by  performance. Why oh why they got ladled as a 9 wt beggars belief. With an IP of 525 it’s close to one of my 13 foot TH fly rods.

You will not find these single hand fly rods in Century’s web site.

Why anyone would consider from grips on any fly rods beats me.

Century do make very good blanks. Sadly for me the ones I really like the slingshots are made for sale only to the American importer. I can’t buy direct in UK. 

Mike

Esa

I'm not sure it's so simple to make a direct comparison between your CTS blanks and this century blank I have (Surf machine 9+wt mid flex). The action between them is different, so it's not quite so simple to compare the technology in the product looking at their IP and weight.

These blanks have graphene in them, which (if I remember correctly) was done for strength but moreso for toughness, and a resistance to breakage when under extreme duress. To my knowledge century is the first to have graphene throughout the entire blank of the rod.

If it does what they say I can't be sure yet. Gremlin here on SOL has a 7'6'' spinning rod made from the same pre-preg and has had more and bigger fish on it than I have. He could say more about it than I could.

Mike

So far I haven't seen very good quality control coming out of century. These blanks are prototypes yes but the ferrule knocked on one blank I received and on both the tip section has had a little kink in it.

CTS blanks have had bad ferrules too, but I haven't had a blank yet that's had mechanical issues from them.

I haven't handled one of Century's conventional blanks, nor the publicly available fly rods or the blanks they're built on. It could be they are better.

I don't suspect these surf machine blanks will sell very well as fly rods. Not enough people want 10' single handed rods for longer belly 12/13 wt lines. Smart economical move on their part to use a back bay spinning blank mandrel for these surf machine blanks. No extra tooling to fund.

I'd personally really like to try one of their more normal single handed 9' rods, especially if they're in a 2pc format. I love my 10'er, casts so well.

13 hours ago, jjp5 said:

Thanks all for the thoughtful comments, now I am more curious than ever about how they cast. 

Rod has very little influence to casting but fly line has huge! In practice you feel rod weight where reel weight has significant effect. Also you feel swing weight and trerefore I asked blank section weights! Rod and swing weight do not have much effect to casting performance but ligher is nicer. And then you can feel obvious rod length and stiffness and stiffness should match to line weight where personal preference has effect.

Experienced caster can feel rod action as well but on single hand rod it does not have much effect but tip action rod is bit prone to Tailing Loops so learning to Drift is essential skill and learning to haul very late as well to increase cast efficiency and to avoid TL which rod fast straightening cause if haul is finished too early.

Century rods and blanks are very expensive so definitely test them and compare to rod you know but cast same line so you see the effect of rod. Usually expensive blanks and rods are lighter and or thinner but not always so it is not smart to buy heavy and ecpensive unless weight quarantees tougher blank which some fry fishing benefit.

Esa

Edited by crunch

Even tho more expensive maybe they will add their graphene material to their fly rod Section which is on some of their surf rods and definitely get rid of the foam grip for quality cork.