ThrowinPlugs

Fishing spooks: Clips or Tie direct?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Easy question that I cant seem to find an answer To. I wanna play around with some spooks tomorrow at sundown where I know the top water bite is gonna be almost a guarantee. I never really fish top water, and I always use TA clips. Will they alter the action that bad on a spook or do you think itll be fine?

45 mins ago, afterhours said:

Don't know if this helps but I use 50# Breakaways on all my spooks - 4.5", 6", 7.5" and 9". They are very light and do not hurt action at all.

I always use TA clips Don, are the breakaways thinner? 

5 mins ago, Mack26 said:

I always use TA clips Don, are the breakaways thinner? 

Haven't looked at a TA in years, but if I remember correctly the Breakaways are thinner and lighter.

8 hours ago, afterhours said:

Haven't looked at a TA in years, but if I remember correctly the Breakaways are thinner and lighter.

Thanks Don! :th:

I always tie direct for smaller spooks, and poppers, jumpin minnow and Stillwater’s. Way easier to impart action and stay in contact. Larger spooks and poppers, 2oz and above, I use clips because their movement is so exaggerated and sloppy, a clip ain’t going to make difference.

11 hours ago, afterhours said:

Don't know if this helps but I use 50# Breakaways on all my spooks - 4.5", 6", 7.5" and 9". They are very light and do not hurt action at all.

I just pulled out one of your spooks last night.   Going to try it as delivery plug for an interesting teaser I just got.  

I go clip.  If I did tie direct I’d use something like Rapala knot w/ loop to allow it to swing free.

53 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Small spooks for back water....loop knot.

Loop knot vs clip - I don't think there's much of a difference.  I used to use loop knots all the time for jigs but clips sorta put an end to that for me as well.  Someone mentioned tying direct for small spooks & I can see how that would give you more immediate contact with the plug while walking the dog.  But to be honest, clips work just fine for me with the smaller spooks too (top dogs, super spooks, etc.) and I'm too lazy to tie direct anymore ;-).

For added action switch from braid to mono. The elasticity between “pops” makes the lure jump. Think of a rubber band.