DoorGunner

A first for me.

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

We have been renting fishing and crabbing boats for fifteen years now and I thought I had heard them all. This one was a good one. Family of three came in to rent a boat for crabbing. Nice couple with a little boy around four or five. The father said they would probably in early because he didn't think his boy would last long. 

Every time a boat goes out crabbing I tell the customers that we put a bushel basket, tongs and a map to the best spots. Each boat has a crab and fish net and let them know about legal size and females loaded with eggs. I tell them to keep the crabs in the basket and not in a bucket of water because it will kill them. Then we show them how to operate the boat. 

Sure enough they came back to the dock after about two hours so the mother and little boy could go to the beach while the father would go back out crabbing again. When the mother and son came up the ramp I asked how they did. She was happy and said they had a great time and would do it again. Then I asked how they did crabbing and she said they had a lot but didn't catch any. They were using hand lines and kept pulling up crabs but every time they tried to catch them with the crab tongs they let go of the bait and swam away............. I asked her why didn't you use the crab net and she just stared at me and finally said, yea, that probably would have worked better. :shock:

Last month Adria and I rented a boat for crabbing. i put out a hotel with a small bumper on the string about 80 yds away from where we ankored.

A famly of joyriders went by with a boat they got from the same place. Guy driveing. 2 kids and wife wearing life jackets that were provided.

He comes around the point. I say "That guy is going to get the bumper.' He gets it. I am waveing my arms hollering STOP hes going. he drug my trap 200 yds. He finally stopped and the bumper was between the transom and the lower end of the motor. He finally says "What this?" and pulls it out. No rope in the prop. UNREAL.  

He just drove away.

We came in at 4:55. The boats had to be back at 5 he was no place to be found.

Kids driveing over our lines and sooper short drifting us. I buzz them like they arent even there. The big boats are the worst trying to fish in shinny water. Its almost no fun any more. People are just stupid. Its really close to only worth doing never.

19 mins ago, fishing pete said:

People just ankor up in the middle of any where.

They dont have any common sense. If you correct them, they get upset.

2 hours ago, DoorGunner said:

We have been renting fishing and crabbing boats for fifteen years now and I thought I had heard them all. This one was a good one. Family of three came in to rent a boat for crabbing. Nice couple with a little boy around four or five. The father said they would probably in early because he didn't think his boy would last long. 

Every time a boat goes out crabbing I tell the customers that we put a bushel basket, tongs and a map to the best spots. Each boat has a crab and fish net and let them know about legal size and females loaded with eggs. I tell them to keep the crabs in the basket and not in a bucket of water because it will kill them. Then we show them how to operate the boat. 

Sure enough they came back to the dock after about two hours so the mother and little boy could go to the beach while the father would go back out crabbing again. When the mother and son came up the ramp I asked how they did. She was happy and said they had a great time and would do it again. Then I asked how they did crabbing and she said they had a lot but didn't catch any. They were using hand lines and kept pulling up crabs but every time they tried to catch them with the crab tongs they let go of the bait and swam away............. I asked her why didn't you use the crab net and she just stared at me and finally said, yea, that probably would have worked better. :shock:

Darwin Award nominees