Little Jack SAYORIS 182mm Sinking Pencil

Rate this topic

Halieus

Anyone ever fish one of these? Looks like a cross between a needlefish and a swimming plug. Seems good in theory, but the last time I said that about a foreign lure I couldn't connect with fish for the life of me. 

I'm probably gonna pick one up anyway, so hopefully I can get some results to answer my own question. In the meantime, let's hear what you've got to say!

(*member formerly known as 'Always_NoFo')

I've fished a smaller version of the Little Jack Sayoris, 133mm, about an ounce. I must have 3 or 4 of them in my collection, but not sure where they are at the mo. It's an ok lure, but i don't think fantastic. It looks very much like what we call a piper (Hyporhamphus ihi) in NZ. I really like its appearance. Other Little Jack lures i have seen also look cool. It's easy to fish - a straight retrieve is all you have to do. It doesn't have a lot of action, do a lot in the water, but I think this is ok. It's "semi subtle". 

I've caught kahawai (Australian salmon) on the Sayoris. 

3 hours ago, Always_NoFo said:

Anyone ever fish one of these? Looks like a cross between a needlefish and a swimming plug. Seems good in theory, but the last time I said that about a foreign lure I couldn't connect with fish for the life of me. 

I'm probably gonna pick one up anyway, so hopefully I can get some results to answer my own question. In the meantime, let's hear what you've got to say!

I use them here on LI.. I use both sizes. They are amazing lures at the right time.  I reach for it before my superstrike N-fish 100% of the time.. they fish like a needle but with a very pronounced side to side wobble/shimmy... 

If your familiar w the superstrike needle they arent supposed to have much action at all. Without some sweeping or twitches they just come straight in.. the Sayoris has action to it.. although subtle, it's much more evident than the SS... was using one this afternoon and getting tons of spanish mackerel...

Great lures.  Get both sizes.  

17 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

I use them here on LI.. I use both sizes. They are amazing lures at the right time.  I reach for it before my superstrike N-fish 100% of the time.. they fish like a needle but with a very pronounced side to side wobble/shimmy... 

If your familiar w the superstrike needle they arent supposed to have much action at all. Without some sweeping or twitches they just come straight in.. the Sayoris has action to it.. although subtle, it's much more evident than the SS... was using one this afternoon and getting tons of spanish mackerel...

Great lures.  Get both sizes.  

How do they handle current? Glad to hear they produce fish. I'll get both sizes. Maybe the smaller one will be good with the albies too

(*member formerly known as 'Always_NoFo')