coastalfreak

Line Recommendation For This Reel Please

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread. I feel like it could belong in either this thread or vintage tackle. 

Anyway, I recently acquired a DAM Quick 330N. I know they are reels with a very high reputation and I would like to use it as a light bait reel. I have an spare Penn Battle 2 6000 combo rod that I will probably put it on, but I need to know what is the best line for it and what the ratings are. 

I'm thinking something like a high quality 15# mono or something (based off the size if I'm interpreting it right.) 

That error there was Andy and if you had the extra dough you put Stren original on it. I'd go with 10# Stren original to be on the safe side. What's the line capacity and what are you targeting? It's a freshwater reel that was designed over 40 years ago. I fished with one. They're like the Van Staal of that time.

Crack reel

D6DBE8EA-61F8-4F0F-AF86-9A5144832C8A.png

2 hours ago, SandSpike1 said:

That error there was Andy and if you had the extra dough you put Stren original on it. I'd go with 10# Stren original to be on the safe side. What's the line capacity and what are you targeting? It's a freshwater reel that was designed over 40 years ago. I fished with one. They're like the Van Staal of that time.

Crack reel

D6DBE8EA-61F8-4F0F-AF86-9A5144832C8A.png

I’ll probably use it off of piers in the salt for stuff like Whiting (Kingfish), Croakers, Silver and White Perch, maybe the occasional trout or drum. 

2 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

I’ll probably use it off of piers in the salt for stuff like Whiting (Kingfish), Croakers, Silver and White Perch, maybe the occasional trout or drum. 

In my opinion. This is a collectors item. Buy yourself a BG and fish with it. :)

First - I have been searching SOL and reading thread after thread for weeks, gleaning what I can about mono vs braid ~ conventional vs spinning ~ and different applications and just now stumbled on this thread, which might be the best place to ask my question, if it's alright to change the reel and application. 

What would the suggestions be for best line for a Penn 180 used to cast bait rigs and lures from low docks ?  . . adding this factor  . . new to conventionals. 

thanks

thank you Brian...
I got in touch with Tommy Farmer at CCP and have some Sakuma coming  - Given what I'd read in other threads, it seemed mono was the way to go, but truly wanted specific, clear advice. 

Thanks again... the reel is headed to be a gift to a great friend's son; his first conventional, to fish the lower parts of the Ashley and Cooper rivers at the mouth of Charleston Harbor.