anystripe

VR50 Wind Knots

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Yup, another vr50 thread.

Been using it for a year and some change and absolutely love the reel, but the wind knots are almost unbearable. I tried multiple line brands, spooled tight, and not overfilled. All the same. The line lay just seems to be so loose when it's retrieved. I'll end up switching to my Stella or 150 and have no issues, so I'm curious if there's a reason to this.

Just curious if anybody else has/had this problem? I've also heard that the new production and new black ones to be released will be better on this, but nothing I've read suggests that.

I had issues when i first got it, was careful to do increasing distance casting to try and avoid knots but i had several for a week or so. After i cut off about 30 yards it was noticeably better. I have not had one since. When it was spooled i had asked for 95% to avoid overfilling but apparently 95% was to much. 20# V2 SS. Again. problem resolved and no further issues 

I posted a reply to wind knots in the Fishing Industry Insiders in the Peen Fishing Thread and it explains wind knots. If you get a chance check it out. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, anystripe said:

Been using it for a year and some change and absolutely love the reel, but the wind knots are almost unbearable. I tried multiple line brands, spooled tight, and not overfilled. All the same. The line lay just seems to be so loose when it's retrieved.

How heavy is the lure?

What type of lure?

What pound test?

Rod type and components?

Edited by SandSpike1

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have not had issues with my VR50 and wind knots with 20# Sufix 832 spooled up to a 1/16"  from the bottom edge, and even line lay out of the box.

EDIT: on 9' ODM D.N.A.

Edited by JK47

7 mins ago, JK47 said:

I have not had issues with my VR50 and wind knots with 20# Sufix 832 spooled up to a 1/16"  from the bottom edge, and even line lay out of the box.

Same line, no issues here either.

I have had issues suffix 832 on 10 bh Suzuki when using light swimming lures. It was like I casted so much line, it floated. No knots with heavier lures. Have to cast the light swimmers more direct and make contact faster.

When I first spooled up my VR50, I had the same "wind knot" issue. After a few cut backs, issue disappeared.  I was informed that if I used the marking on the inside of the spool on the top side as my fill line, wind knots would be an non issue. It worked for me!

15lb spiderwire mine was a knot machine. Took the sw off and put on 10lb fireline crystal, and not one knot since, That was throwing 3/8 up to 1.5 on a odm genesis.

I had the same issue when I got the reel. I traded my VS200 with my friend's VR50. He had 30Ib power pro on it. I was constantly getting wind knots. Went to my local tackle shop and told them my issue. They put 20Ib Fireline on it and everything was solved.

On 9/10/2019 at 6:28 PM, SandSpike1 said:

How heavy is the lure?

What type of lure?

What pound test?

Rod type and components?

I've had issues with mainly everything I've thrown. The other day i was throwing a 7/8 epoxy with a fast retrieve, so I know that doesn't help. Was using 20lb PPSS. I recently switched all of my reels to 832, so the VR will be next in line for that. Custom GSB 1081L (9' 1/2-2 1/2) built with torzite K guides.

On 9/10/2019 at 6:53 PM, JK47 said:

EDIT: on 9' ODM D.N.A.

Well, that's the line that's going on next, so we'll see how it goes.

8 hours ago, Seadogg said:

Don’t blame your tools. 

Not blaming, questioning. Being that it seems to be a consistent issue, it's perfectly fine to question it. Spent a good amount of time snooping the facebook pages and forums today and I'm far from the only one with the issue. Not to mention I'm far from a novice and I've used countless other reels (high end and cheap) and never had this issue.

With all that said, I'll respool it with 832, make sure it's spooled tight, and make sure it's not overfilled and see how it works out. I do believe the line lay could be issue, but we'll see. Like i said, otherwise I love it.

1 min ago, anystripe said:

Custom GSB 1081L (9' 1/2-2 1/2) built with torzite K guides.

Excellent glass cutting outfit! It sounds more like

a 1-1/2 to a 2-1/2 ounce outfit.

When I first go my VR125, I had issues with “wind” knots. They stopped when the line was reduced about an 1/8” from the outside lip of the spool. 

Thinking about it, when spools are wound on a machine at a shop, they are wound on pretty tight. Your first cast and retrieve will re-lay that line with whatever tension is generated by lure/weight, water drag, guides, etc. Inevitably, that will be less pressure than was applied by the spooling machine at the shop. Thus, while the spool looks properly filled walking out of the shop, it quickly became “over-filled” in use. 

I recently had that reel respooled and told the guy to stop 3/16” from edge - he asked why I did not wan to “fill it”. Came back to him later that day and showed him how it had “expanded” over the course of a morning of casting.

My $0.02 but I am far from being an expert. .