Mola mola

Rate this topic

greenhornet73

6 mins ago, greenhornet73 said:

Whitehouse beach brings back memories.  Friends of ours own a house on it, beautiful area.

We've been going to my wife's family place there for 27 years, her parents passed so we bought out the rest of the siblings two years ago, absolutely love it there, practically raised our three kids there every summer weekend.  

"ALL THE BEST!"

I saw three on the North shore the other day.   Pretty big ones.   We were petting them.  Cool fish.

FWIW, regarding eating them, I have a book from when I lived out in Washington, and the author caught a very small one (25-30 pounds) and wanted to try eating it.  If I recall correctly, as it's been a long time since I read it, he was camping at the time.  Once he got through the skin, he mentioned it being very gelatinous, and after a lot of unpleasant digging around he was finally able to locate some meat, which he proceeded to cook up in a frying pan.  He mentions popping it in his mouth and chewing, then having an irresistible urge to spit it out  Same for his pals with him.

D5028D44-48FB-458C-BC2C-91431E9E1FE8.jpeg

B5B887E6-1C8F-48DD-B161-07A78033C943.jpeg

B78E0071-0DDC-4D4E-9CF8-3BA3CB56CB7A.jpeg

Edited by jkrock

"mother Theresa was a POS"-fish'nmagician

Nothing like seeing one swimming by your dock in 6 ft of water when you pull in at sunset.  As I motored over to make sure it was a Mola, I recognized it as "Scarface" one we've been seeing out in the bay, with a propeller scar across his face...

scarface by dock lower res.mp4

Edited by Roccus7

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

• 2 weeks later...

I was out last weekend in Cape Cod Bay and we saw hundreds of them, with constant views of them jumping. Many had a single seagull on them pecking at parasites.  Unfortunately I was looking for albies and ended up hitting a submerged mola mola that I did not see while on plane and took off the transducer in 30 feet of water. Ugh.  There were a freakish number of them. I suspect, although I am likely semi-paranoid, that the new normal will be jellyfish and mola mola and someone posted on the bow as lookout.